Stolen Wii

Discussion in 'Games' started by runplaysleeprun, Dec 13, 2006.

1. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Ah. So, I just walked home from work and had my roommate tell me that he closed the trunk of my car on his way in an hour before. Odd, I thought. Then I remembered I had my new Wii in the trunk. I run down the flights of stairs, to the car, open the trunk, and no Wii. I feel very rage-induced destructive.
    I don't see any visible damage on the car (an 02 cavalier, my girlfriends), I think the doors were still locked (I was in a bit of a panic, and may have hit unlock on the remote before actually trying the door, I don't remember). The trunk is a bit dirty, and I can see some finger marks, but they in all likely could be mine from any time in the last few days.

What are my options? I have the serial number (its on the receipt). I've called the Chicago Police, and they gave me a case number, but, what's the usual followup with something like this? Am I just a statistic to them?
    Can I contact Nintendo and see if they will monitor for the serial number if someone tries to connect it to the internet? Does it even transmit the serial number when connecting to the internet? I'm just frustrated over this, I by no means have the money to replace it, so, I don't know. I feel almost like just laying down and sleeping right now. Or spending beyond my means, getting another Wii, prominently display it as I put it in the trunk, and then stake out on the roof with a high-power weapon of some sorts. Ah.
    Thanks to anyone who can give me a bit of info.

Brendan

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i'm very sorry to hear that... i can imagine in your position that i would want to sleep and hopefully that was just a bad dream...

3. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

What neighborhood are you in?

4. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Yeah, I'm in Chicago too and am wondering what neighborhood this happened in.......

Unless this was an inside job (your roomate, girlfriend or neighbor stole it...or a combined effort by them), it's statistically unlikely that you will get it back.

I feel for you. Good luck.

5. runplaysleeprun thread starter macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I'm in little italy, on Taylor near Ogden. It's not great around here, but its not too bad either. I live above a restaurant in an apartment, and people always use the walkway between buildings through to the back of our building because its the only one left open to get to the alley. I think I'm going to talk to the guy the owns the building about that.

6. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

You should...until then, I like the high powered weapon idea...

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

You could maybe call up Nintendo, they might be able to do something with the serial number, since the serial number will be linked to a single Wii code it could potentially be tracked down or at least have the firmware remotely nuked when it connects to the internet. All very unlikely but possible.

8. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

maybe insurance will cover it??? sorry to hear that, i am going to get my wii after the christmas break so i def. will not leave it in my car

9. runplaysleeprun thread starter macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Just got off the phone with them. After about half an hour of waiting and giving them every concievable form of contact info (he actually did manage to find an account I made ages ago with an N64), he told me all he could do was have me register it, and if whoever has it tries to register it, they won't be able to. And in his words "then they'll call us to find out why they can't register it, and when they do, you know, it'll go on from there".

Am I to believe whoever nicked it is going to try to register a stolen product? And, if they lack the common sense to not do that, am I supposed to think that they will call Nintendo and ask why it won't register?!

Theif: "My wii won't register"
    Nintendo: "Well let me see..."
    pause
    Nintendo: "Oh, we have it here as...oh. Can I get your address?"
    click

The only way that'll work is if they have the 20 minutes of info-gathering before addressing the issue like what I just went through.

I guess I can hope that whoever took it has been featured on "World's Dumbest Criminals" or the like.

$500 deductible. Can't get no breaks.

10. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Apple does something similar with stolen laptops. You can give them the serial number and they keep an eye out for it during repairs and such. It wouldn't be unheard of for a console to report it's serial number to receive system updates, as it's possible that in the future Nintendo alters the hardware enough to require separate updates or at least a knowledge of the correct hardware.

So I'd call the police (which you did), then Nintendo to see if they can do anything (some unsuspecting eBay buyer will register it, no doubt), then your insurance company. I think insurance companies by law in many states are not allowed to increase your rates for theft or vandalism. In addition, they're not allowed to charge a deductible for such things either.

11. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

WOW...hopefully the guy is dumb and will call it in

12. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Some folks are remarkably stupid, hopefully he gives it a shot.

Or, more likely, he'll sell the console to someone and they'll try to register it.

Regardless, at least there's a sliver of a chance... it's better than nothing.

13. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Sorry to hear about that. Why did you leave it in your trunk? Did you just get it today? I know when I bought mine I thought someone was following me and took a very long way home to be sure. Sounds like someone could have followed you or someone that lives near you. :(

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Woah, creepy!!

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no offense but who in their right mind would make a claim on their insurance (assuming home/renters whatever) over 200 something dollars even if they could. you will just end up paying higher rates and insurace companies would red flag you for making claims on every little thing and may drop you altogether.

i feel your pain but i would not do the insurance claim if i were you (plus as you mentioned, no deductible is 0 dollars anyways)

hopefully you get it but if not its not like your out of a car

i was listening to a talk show (Tom Martino) and imagine this. an elderly man spent his entire lifesavings on a ring for his wife for aniversary (around 30,000 dollars). he realized that it was too much after talking with his wife and tried to sell it. long story short, he met a guy and the guy robbed him as he showed it tohim. talk about a bleak outlook on that

moral of story...things could always be worse but yea id be upset like none other too. I had a really nice set of golfclubs stolen from my garage, actually 2 sets but yea i still am upset

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I'm sure this was fixed in the new models, but didn't older cavaliers have a notorious problem of easily broken into trunks?

Anyways, sorry for your loss, I've lost some expensive cell phones in my day, and its a terrible feeling. I would suggest waiting a few days before you run out and get a new wii. Sometimes emotions get the best of you.

17. runplaysleeprun thread starter macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Naw, I took it to my parents house over the weekend and neglected to take it back out (with finals this week and all).

I didn't know about that. I'm going to look into it.

Thanks everyone for their positive wishes.

18. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Wow...I am incredibly sorry to hear that. I hope its not the one that you just sold on ebay too??

Call the police, nintendo, anyone that you can think of. Hopefully something can be done....

19. runplaysleeprun thread starter macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

No, buyer was a deadbeat, which I was happy for, because I had changed my mind and wanted to keep it. Now, I'm upset, because it would have been long gone and I would have made a few bucks instead of being out 270.
    I'm going to go take my rage out on that deadbeat buyer and leave a terribly negative feedback.

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

did you buy it with Visa? Visa has insurance on all purchases you make on it so they should be able to refund you. Another reason never to pay cash.

21. runplaysleeprun thread starter macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Damn, did not know that. No, I paid cash. And I had a VISA on me too at the time, could have used it. Good to know for the future.

22. bozigle macrumors regular

Sorry to hear about your tragedy.
    Not that is is directly related but i recall reading an article about the iPod being stolen so much, that people started to request some locking system.
    What do i mean by locking system?
    well, you see, when you use your phone, data such as pin code (msisdn) but also phone id is send during all transaction... call,sms,mms and it is a child play for the operator to actually block or pass the info to the police... but they don't. And a similar technology could be used for mp3player or videogameset.
    The idea behind, according to some analysts, is that if a person had the money to buy a fancy phone, ipod, wii, ps3 would also be more likely to buy a new one when this one get stolen, where as if people knew that after only a phone call the device could be desactivated then there wouldn't be reason to steal in the first place (unless you do not plug your device to the network)
    So it's not explicit but it is in the manufacturer's advantage, that device get stollen... cause chances are that you gonna buy a new wii and the dude who stole yours was not going to buy one...
    Well this is my personal view(and the analyst) and does not reflect any official statement of any company... so i might just be wrong... please nintendo don't sue me... i will buy a wii (if ever stores got some!)
    bozigle

23. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well the criminal doesn't have to be dumb... he/she will probably sell it, and that buyer would be the one trying to register it.

And just think how hacked they will be having shelled out $400+ for the system only to get caught with a stolen Wii!

24. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Little Italy eh? I grew up in the Bucktown/Logan Square area. Near west side is getting there, but still not great. I'm always afraid my car will get stolen there (Acura Integra). GL!

25. thestaton macrumors 6502

Can you report it to Nintendo? With the serial number etc to see if they can alert you if someone tries to register it?

Hopefully the thief themselves try to register it OR the person who buys it, uses something online like eBay so they can track the seller.