Stolen XBox 360 :-(

Discussion in 'Games' started by rtdgoldfish, Mar 20, 2007.

1. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Came home from work today to find the window on my back door busted open and my Xbox 360 gone. They left the Wii, PS2, 32" Samsung LCD TV, stereo, MacBook, a ton of DVDs, CDs, and games. Just took the 360, 2 controllers, the XBox Live camera and some games.

Called the cops, they came out, dusted for prints (didn't find anything good), tooks some pictures and wrote up a report. I still have all the reciepts for the 360 so I was able to give them the serial number and thanks to Delicous Library, I had a list of all the games that were stolen.

Funny thing out of all of this: I had a set of Monster Cables for the 360 which force the system to run in HD. Whoever took it will have a nice surprise when they get it home and find out they can't run it on their SD set. (Kinda assuming they won't have an HD TV if they are stealing a 360...)

But really now, who the heck does that?? A bunch of f**king kids I'm guessing. "Oh, lets steal the $400 Xbox instead of the $1500 TV or the laptop." What is this world coming to?? I live in a quiet neighborhood. The only thing I have ever seen a cop around here for is to break up a party down the road on New Years Eve. There are families with young children, a newlywed couple, a couple friends down the road. We all know each other, nobody has ever had a problem like this.

The cops didn't give me much hope for recovering anything and I really wasn't expecting them to. It just really ticks me off that someone can have such little respect for someone else's property. Its not even a matter of the money, my landlord has good homeowner's insurance and he is a friend of mine so I think he will file a claim for me.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post my little rant here and toss my gamertag out there. If anyone sees rtdgoldfish on Xbox Live, let them know they are a no good peice of s**t playing on a stolen system. Or if anyone knows how to track something like this, that would be great!

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

3. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Hmm. Try contacting Microsoft, notify them that your 360 was stolen, and ask if they can do anything about tracking the IP received when your gamertag is signed on.

That is strange -- albeit fortunate -- that they only took your 360.

On the subject of strange, check this out. My friend was parked at a Taco Bell. He left his driver's door unlocked, went in to get something to go. He came out to find that his passenger side window was smashed. Someone had broken in, taken his stereo, but left the faceplate for the stereo IN THE PASSENGER SEAT.

4. darkwing macrumors 65816

This really sucks. :( I just bought a new house and am going to almost immediately get it wired up for an alarm, though I probably don't need to. It's out in the middle of nowhere. :p Anyhow, if you want to set up a donation paypal account I bet a lot of us can chip in $5 each or something to help. :)

5. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Man that sucks hard. Last year our apartment was broken into and my girlfriend's 17" Powerbook was stolen and oddly enough some undergarmets from Victoria's Secret. That was all they stole too...I didn't understand why they didn't take the plasma, stereo equipment, jewelry etc. The cops said that the theives were probably in a hurry...

Anyway, there probably isn't anything you can do about it. The cops almost never get prints and (at least in my area) are pretty apathetic about this type of thing. In our case, they didn't really investigate too much at all. There were reports of similar cases at other apartment complexes around the area but I got the feeling that none of the police departments share evidence or collaborated on it because when I called the detectives about it they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about.

My parents were on vacation last year and their luggage was stolen out of their car. They tried to file on their homeowners insurance but the insurance company said they had to have pictures and reciepts for everything they lost. So now my Mom takes pictures of everything she buys :) ....She asked me to run to the store and get some milk for her last weekend and I felt like asking her if I should bring the camera.

Delicious Library is an awesome program!

In any case, install an alarm system. We have a wifi camera system, an alarm, new locks, and the complex put a guard at the gate. Hopefully, that is enough to deter any more burglaries.

If you guys don't already know about them, look up bump keys. They are scary. Anyone can open up just about any lock with minimal effort.

6. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well now you have an escuse to go out and buy an Elite xbox 360 in black :D

7. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

They told me last night they didn't think they got any good prints. And the ones that were good will turn out to be my own I bet. And yes, Delicious Library rocks. The cop couldn't believe that I had a database of every single game, DVD, CD and book that I owned.

I guess, I'm so sad cuz Guitar Hero 2 comes out in two weeks now and I don't think I'll have a 360 to play it on :(

LOL, if you really feel that bad about it my PayPal address is rtdgoldfish@gmail.com. I won't say no. :D

8. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

So last night I was checking my email after work and my computer makes a weird beep. I realized that the sound is made by Connect360 when a connection is made to an Xbox. I opened the program and it says my 360 is connected and media is being shared with it. This means that whoever stole my 360 is still in range of my wireless network.

Got in my car with my laptop and found the range on my network is a bit larger than I had expected. About 8-10 houses on my block get at least some signal from my network

This morning at 5am, my 360 connected to the network again and I decided to take a walk around the neighboorhood to see who was awake. I found two houses within range of my network that had a blue glow in the window from a TV. When the 360 was disconnected from the network about 30 mins later, I walked back around and there was one house that no longer had the TV on.

I'm going to call the police department and talk to the officer that has been handling my case. I'm pretty sure I don't have enough information for them to get a search warrant but I'm getting more confident about actually getting my 360 back than I was three days ago.

9. Mooey macrumors regular

Bust some balls, HOOAH!

It's like CSI for gamers, lol.

10. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

rtdgoldfish -- that's awesome. I hope you catch the thief. Keep us updated.

11. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

12. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Wow. If one of your neighbors stole it, they might be in for a surprise, eh?

13. darkwing macrumors 65816

This is awesome, rt! And I was seriously just about to head over to paypal to send my $5, too. :p

Keep us posted! And MAKE SURE you keep details logs (even if it's on paper) of the date/times you notice these things. Also, you need to make sure that you take a picture of the house with the blue glow as well!

14. applekid macrumors 68020

Hahaha! Wow! I thought I would never have a reason to share my media on a 360, but for security purposes, I should :) That is amazing and stupid on your neighbor's part. See, there's reason to invest in the $100 WiFi dongle. :D

Please do keep us posted. That may not enough for a warrant, but maybe having a cop visit either homes may be enough for someone to break. It is only down to two houses after all.

Wow, stealing WiFi AND a X-Box 360? Any laws in your area about stealing an internet connection? :D

15. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I've been taking screenshots of when they connect to my network and writing down who is home in the neighborhood when it is connected. Also have my router set to log IP addresses just in case.

Yeah, that Connect360 program is great. It even tells you the serial number of the 360s that are on your network so I know it is mine.

I'm not too sure about stealing internet in this area. Its a college town with a ton of apartments so I'm sure there is a lot of it going on. Whether the police do anything about it or not is a mystery to me.

16. darkwing macrumors 65816

Excellent! :)

This is kind of a tricky situation... it's stealing, but if you allow it to happen you basically suck. :p

When I last went home to visit parents, I found an open router called "linksys" and I connected to its conf page using the default login/password and changed the SSID to "open_router_please_hack_me" ;)

17. fsudaft macrumors newbie

I'm a friend of rtdgoldfish, we hang out and shoot the crap and play games. I don't think the area we live in has wifi stealing laws, but you never know until someone gets arrested for it. But since he doesn't run a business or have any confidential information on his computer that i know about, i doubt that there will be any thing the police here can do about it.

He's a pretty nice guy and I was surprised when he called me late one night to tell me what happened, he lives in a pretty tranquil place. the funny thing about this is that it seems like he's been doing the whole investigation while he police just sit around and wait for his information. I hope he gets his stuff back though.

18. bluewire macrumors member

bump...TELL US WHAT HAPPENED! CSI: Mac Rumors! :confused:

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This is fascinating!
    Out of curiosity how built up is your area? Is this a neighbour you've spoke too before? I think I'd feel worse if one of my neighbours stole something rather than some thief I never met before. That said they're mostly old folk, Paul Scholes and a pub so I don't expect any of them to steal from me!

Anyway. I can't wait to hear how this ends. It sounds like it's all going to work out if you can just get the police into that house. Surely you'll be able to prove it's yours there and then by some serial number, hard drive key or something?

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

They couldnt tell if they were on your network Jimmi, it drops so much :p

to the OP, i hope you get your x360 back soon, good luck.

Ed

21. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Heh I know that will never happen to me, my walls are so thick, my neighbors walls are so thick and I have NO adjacent houses next to mine anyway... hell, the wireless signal barely gets to my room :D and even so I have it secured :)

Back on topic rtdgoldfish, at least now you know that whoever stole your Xbox360 is near you and you'll probably get it back, even if a little late. Best of luck :)

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You'd probably only say no if some of the people expected to "borrow" your body for that $5 a pop. ;)

---

Likely somebody that knew you had it and wanted it, hence the targeted break in. :(

And since it seems like a neighbor took it, it shows that they are an idiot.

Time to break out the video camera for evidence.

Edit: if a kid took it, sue the parents if they do not make good on damages and return the merchandise. Should only need that video tape for a small claims case.

23. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Does anyone out there know where Connect360 saves its log to?? I have the setting enabled for "Detailed Logging (Debug Mode)" turned on but I can't seem to find where it is located on my HD. This would really be helpful since I am not sitting at my laptop 24/7 waiting for this idiot to connect to my network.

Thanks!

24. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I've seen the neighbors around when I walk my dog but I have never spoken to them. I usually have my iPod on so I ignore just about everyone. :D

The houses around here are pretty well spread out. I drove around in my car and determined that about 10 houses are in range of my wireless network. Three across the street, my house and the two next-door neighbors, three houses on the street behind mine and two houses on a side street.

Of these houses, I know all three families across the street, they would not break into my place, nice families. Two of the houses on the street behind me are either for sale or undergoing renovations so that eliminates them. The third house is this 80 year old man who I would guess still has a black and white TV and can walk about as fast as a snail. Don't think he's the burglar type.

The other couple of houses are the ones I don't know the neighbors. One has some teenage kids (I believe) and that is the one that always seems to be home or having the TV on when my 360 is on my network.

Right now, I'm just hoping that whoever has it doesn't try to get rid of it before the cops can get over there and check things out.

And yes, it will be fairly easy to prove it is mine. The serial number is on the back and even if they scratched it off, you can get to it via the settings in the Dashboard. I also have reciepts for the system, wireless adapter, controllers, play and charge kit, and most of the games.

25. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Back when I was about 8, we were jacked. However it was our house and the house next to us. We lost all of our console GAMES, the system still there. The other house lost their console SYSTEM, the games still there. Its nice to know that the world has not changed 10 years later.