iPad mini Stollen iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jnardis, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Jnardis, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Finally got home to open my new iPad mini and what do I get? An empty box with finger prints and scratches all over it. #

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

3. macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

Was the box sealed? If not, why didn't you look in it before leaving with it? Additionally, weren't you able to notice a weight difference with no iPad mini in the box?!

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

The box was within another brown box. My mother signed for it while I was at work. She didn't even know what it was since it was for me.

5. macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Maybe your mother is hiding something from you:rolleyes:.
    Sounds like the shipping company stole your iPad.

6. macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

Where did you order your iPad mini from?

7. macrumors 65816

Dust for the fingerprints. However, I can guarantee you that the police are going to be useless.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought it from apple.com. Thank god for Amex. They already reimbursed me. Called UPS and Apple. UPS said they have been getting a few calls like this over the last 2 weeks. They said it could either be internal or at customs.

9. macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

Sorry to hear. At least you were reimbursed. You're probably better off going to your nearest Apple store and buying the iPad mini there.

10. macrumors 6502a

I guess it happens all over the world then. Not just where i live.

U are lucky, i once read about a guy buying an Ipad over the internet and he gets an Ipad box with a brick inside.

11. macrumors member

i would give the box to ups and tell them make an investigation with the finger prints

12. macrumors 65816

I would laugh at you. No one is going to care for just an iPad.

13. macrumors member

why would you laugh at me?obviously if you have an employee thats stealing and are able to find any clues to who is doing it you can save the company money by getting rid of them...today an ipad tomorrow something more expensive

14. macrumors 65816

I would laugh at you because the police typically don't care about theft under $5000 and don't do anything even if you report it.

15. macrumors 6502

Was the plastic wrapping on the iPad box or had it been ripped off?

These iPad thefts are insane. It's pathetic and upsetting.

I want to send an iPad mini to my mom as a gift this holiday (I'm in NY and she's in FL) but I'm having seconds thoughts about it.

16. macrumors regular

Who will care ? UPS only help you if you didnt received , now you received , hold on hand , opened box and complain about nothing in box , who will think that true ?

17. macrumors 6502a

You may be able to quell those second thoughts by pre-packaging it with insurance and the like before sending it off as opposed to going into the store with the iPad box to package it there. Of course, that doesn't stop a thief for opening it and whatnot, but at least with it already packaged no one on the front lines can pass along the box's contents.

18. macrumors 6502

Lost or stoen

I returned my first ipad mini using Apples pre-paid newgistics label. I sent off my ipad mini and the smart cover. The smart cover made it back to apple, but the ipad mini never even made it out of my city.

It took over a month and over a dozen calls, but Apple reimbursed me for the lost ipad. The only thing that saved me was that the tracking recorded the package being received by postal carrier. I can't say for certain it was stolen, but be careful when you ship your ipads.

19. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You know this, how?

20. macrumors 65816

Experience.

21. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In that case, my experience suggests otherwise. Perhaps it is that the cops in my town have little else to do a lot of the time, but my experience is they pay attention to theft < $5,000.00 as well.

22. thread starter macrumors 6502a

The plastic was not on the box. They must have used a box cutter to tear the plastic off because there is a huge scratch all along the side of the box as well as finger prints everywhere.

Is there a way that apple can locate the ipad with the imei number or anything?

23. macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Actually when he picked the box up he thought "wow it's true what they say! the new mini is so light!".

Seriously though, glad you got your money refunded, hope you can get another one in time for the big day!

When mine got stolen the police wanted that IMEI number, they blocked it so anyone putting in a sim card would get no reception.

24. macrumors 65816

That is why I love using my Amex, I have never had any issues with disputing a charge when problems occur.

25. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Oh really? Then why are shoplifters arrested and prosecuted?

Law enforcement in my area responds to and investigates all theft reports.