Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
If I remove songs from my Itunes Library, Does it delete them off my ipod?

GreeneGirl7

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Oxford, England
I wouldn't rely on your iPod as the only copy of any of your music/pics/video/data. Something pretty simple could go wrong and you'd need to restore your iPod, thereby losing it.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
I wouldn't rely on your iPod as the only copy of any of your music/pics/video/data. Something pretty simple could go wrong and you'd need to restore your iPod, thereby losing it.

Sorry, I should have worded my question better, I WANT(ed) to delete songs off my iPod. I found out that if you remove them from your library, then it does remove them.

Don't worry, I have 3 computers and an external, my stuff is backed up;)

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
thanks for that question, I was looking on the forum for the answer. Your questions and the answers you got are short and sweet. :D

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
Sorry, but just for clarification...

1. Specific songs can not be deleted directly from the iPod itself?

2. If the above is true, then are specific songs deleted from the iPod?

30GB 5th gen iPod, w/ almost full load of tunes. Desire to remove specific ones, to then be replaced w/ other songs. Thanks! :)

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
If you set the iPod to Manual Sync, you can delete song simply by selecting the song from the ipod and pressing delete.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Sorry, but just for clarification...

1. Specific songs can not be deleted directly from the iPod itself?

2. If the above is true, then are specific songs deleted from the iPod?

30GB 5th gen iPod, w/ almost full load of tunes. Desire to remove specific ones, to then be replaced w/ other songs. Thanks! :)

With automatic syncing, you have two choices:

1. Synchronise the iPod with all the music in your Library
2. Synchronise the iPod with all the music in one or more playlists.

You would choose (2) if you have for example 10 GB of music and a 4 GB iPod. In that case, you just remove things from the playlist and they will be removed from the iPod, and add things to the playlist and they will be added to the iPod. And no adding/removing to the library is needed. Or you can use this method anyway to control what's on your iPod and what's not. Or if you have two iPods, use two playlists so they can contain different music.

The only thing to be aware off is that synchronising only happens when you plug the iPod into your computer; once it is plugged in and synchronised, changing the playlists doesn't make a difference until you unplug the iPod and plug it in again.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
With automatic syncing, you have two choices:

1. Synchronise the iPod with all the music in your Library
2. Synchronise the iPod with all the music in one or more playlists.

You would choose (2) if you have for example 10 GB of music and a 4 GB iPod. In that case, you just remove things from the playlist and they will be removed from the iPod, and add things to the playlist and they will be added to the iPod. And no adding/removing to the library is needed. Or you can use this method anyway to control what's on your iPod and what's not. Or if you have two iPods, use two playlists so they can contain different music.

The only thing to be aware off is that synchronising only happens when you plug the iPod into your computer; once it is plugged in and synchronised, changing the playlists doesn't make a difference until you unplug the iPod and plug it in again.

I use (2) myself, as I have over 25 GB of music and a 4Gb nano. It gives me a high level of control over what I have on the nano.

I'd like to add a small tip though. If you've finished syncing and still have it plugged in-- and you haven't yet clicked the Eject button in iTunes-- you can change the playlists all you want and "re-sync" without unplugging by clicking the Sync icon by your iPod icon.

(However, if you've clicked Eject, you're out of luck.)

sturigdson

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
If you have your ipod set to auto-sync, you can also check the box that says "Sync only checked songs."
Then, in your playlist, only songs that have the little blue checkbox selected will be sync'd.
You simply de-check the individual songs and they won't be sync'd to your ipod [ie: when you plug your ipod in the next time, they'll be deleted from your ipod, but not from itunes.]

Otherwise, I'd suggest going the Manual route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.