Stop Adium from auto-starting?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sink, Nov 12, 2006.

1. sink macrumors newbie

Anyone have any idea how I can stop Adium from auto-starting when booting the computer? Drives me nuts!

Thanks in advance.

Jake

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't have Adium installed, so I can't check for sure, but I'd imagine it adds itself to your login items.

System Preferences --> Accounts --> Login Items

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

If thats not it, if its in your dock right click and make sure 'Open at Login' isnt checked (Thats prolly linked to Login Items, so if its not one its not the other, but I'm not sure)

4. evands macrumors member

Adium doesn't add itself to your login items automatically, for the record :)

5. sink thread starter macrumors newbie

evands, I beg to differ. I've installed it on three macs now - all of which auto-start Adium when you boot the computer.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's interesting...I just installed it and it didn't add itself to Login Items. :confused:

I also don't see an option to do so from within Adium...am I missing something? (I know you can manually add it through System Preferences, but some apps have a checkbox for it in their preferences.)

7. colocolo macrumors 6502

Wow, I have installedd Adium on at least 5 macs and never has this issue.
    Did you try removing it from your startup items as suggested? That should solve the problem.

8. evands macrumors member

Fascinating - are you sure you're not selecting Open at Login from the Dock icon? There really isn't any mechanism within Adium which could do this intentionally, in any case... Does it show up in your Login Items?

Missing nothing... IMHO, with the addition of the "Open at Login" menu item from the dock, launching a program at startup has become trivial enough that it's wasteful to include a checkbox in the app's own preferences. Agree/disagree?

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

For the most part I agree, but sometimes it's nice to have it there when you're going through and setting the rest of your preferences. Users might not think about whether they want it to start at login, and if they don't ever (or rarely) control-click/right click on the Dock icon, it might not occur to them right away. On the other hand, if it's in the preferences where they go more frequently, they might see it and think, "Oh, it would be nice if this automatically opened!"

10. elmario90 macrumors newbie

Have the same problem

Hello I have the same problem I have tried everything, from uninstalling to deleting every adium file nothing works have you been able to fix it?

I'm just waiting for it to get updated hopefully works.