Stop Auto-Downloading in Safari

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ZicklePop, May 31, 2005.

1. ZicklePop macrumors member

When I surf the web, I click on interesting links every once and a while, sometimes they end up being files and Safari automatically downloads it, how do I make it ask me before it goes downloading wildly? This is a big security flaw, if not, annoying-ware flaw.

2. TrashCanDan macrumors member

The only security flaw I can see in that is if it automatically opens the file after downloading, which can fixed by (Safari Preferences/General/uncheck "Open safe files after downloading").

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I was going to say this, but realized that it's not the answer to the question per-se.
    It's not a security flaw that things d/l automatically, but it is if they open automatically - which CAN be stopped.
    However, I can see that it is ANNOYING that things download straight away. For me though, it would be MORE annoying if every time I wanted to download something Safari asked me over and over for confirmation.
    For now I'll take the odd file I don't want and just trash it rather than constant reminders.

4. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

Had to resurrect this old thread. I'd like to be able to use Safari to view text files, instead of automatically downloading them. When I click on a text file using Firefox, the contents of the file are displayed on the screen; it is not downloaded. But when I use Safari to click on a text file, it is downloaded, not displayed. Anyone know how to change the behavior of Safari?

5. dicer999 macrumors newbie

If you get a free app called Afloat, then set the downloads box to be always on top.

Doesn't stop it but makes it easier to see.

6. kulimer macrumors 6502

Does anyone have any solutions to this? It is now 2011 December, the OP was in 2005.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you can't prevent auto-downloading, but you can prevent auto-opening of downloaded files, as already mentioned. Nothing has changed on this issue.