stop auto save in iphoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tivoboy, Feb 4, 2006.

1. tivoboy macrumors 68030

So, when I do a bit of editing in iphoto, sometimes in the full screen view, sometimes just in the window, sometimes I like to just quit and NOT make the changes. Everytime I select a differant photo, I see the SAVING dialogue box meaning the changes I have done are saved. But I don't WANT that. Is there a way ASK me if I WANT to SAVE CHANGES?

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

iPhoto saves the original anyway. Control+click 'revert to original'.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yeah but that's not always what you want back.

I edit something and get it cropped nicely, I warm it up a little and play with the sharpness. It saves.... great.

A few weeks later, I come back to that image which I'm thinking about using for something else. I open it up and recrop it and then click over to the next image. Going back to the original in that case, means all the way back to the non-colour corrected version... it is annoying!

I've now got myself in the habit of duplicating the picture if I'm about to go in and make any subsequent edits.

4. cemorris macrumors regular

Each time you save a jpg image you loose image quality. I highly suggest making a copy, revert it to the original and then do the additional editing all in one pass.

5. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

where is the original then

and is it available in some view, or is it like a version set of the image? Underneath essentially the one that shows up edited, or cropped?

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Just right click (control click) on the image and choose 'Revert to Original'. It will get rid of the edited/cropped one and go back to the first one you put in.
    If you look in the underlying Finder files (but don't use it from there), you'll see Original/Modified folders.

7. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

col

cool. so there are simply TWO files, orignal and whatever has been edited.

8. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Somewhere in iPhoto's incomprehensible file structure, yes

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Damnit Apple- FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!

10. cemorris macrumors regular

They have fixed this in 06. You can now link to your files istead of having them copied into the library. You are now in charge of the file structure if you wish.

11. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Are you serious???? Sweeeeeeeet. About time Apple! Now if only you can rename files from within iPhoto.

12. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

how

how is this done?

13. cemorris macrumors regular

Preferences->Advanced->Uncheck copy to library on import.

I like keeping all my stuff in the iPhoto library, so I don't use this. But it is new for 06