Stop Complaining!

Discussion in 'Macworld San Francisco 2008' started by Mykbibby, Jan 16, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2007
    Palm Springs, CA
    This is driving me crazy. I am sick of people who keep checking negative on the home screen for everything at Macworld! Stop whining! In ONE DAY, Apple announces an entirely new laptop line with an amazing industrial design, they are going to DOMINATE the living room with the redesigned Apple TV (admit it... it's amazing), they announced nice software updates to the iPhone and iPod Touch (okay, you can complain about the cheap 20 buck price requirement for the touch), and the Leopard Home Server everyone wanted. And yet, everyone thinks, for some odd reason, this is BAD news?!? I don't get it.

And don't act like there was no one more thing... Randy Newman sung! (jk, that sucked)
  2. macrumors 68020

Dec 5, 2006
  3. macrumors G4

Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    Heaven forbid that people should disagree with you....
  4. macrumors 68000

May 3, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It's just how things work around here. Just because Apple announces new products that do not interest them, some people complain about it - and some loudly.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2007
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
    I can admit that Apple introduced some major things. They were all very nice additions/improvements. But not one single thing that I'm in the market for. Still, I voted everything positive because it is a Good Thing™ that Apple keeps pushing technology forward (MacBook Air) and making their existing products more useful (everything else).
  6. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
  7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2007
    Palm Springs, CA
    My point... I would never get a Macbook Air in a million years. However, I think it's a great product and it's not "negative" that Apple announced it. I wanted it to be a MBP, but it's still not "negative". You get what I mean...
  8. macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    You hit the nail on the head there.
  9. macrumors regular

Oct 15, 2006
    Me too. No speed updates to the macbooks. No speed updates to the Mac Mini. Therefore not a penny.

Oh this really supadupa amazing Macbook AIR, uses an: Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor. Still they could have stooped lower and used a 950.
  10. macrumors 6502

Oct 17, 2004
    West Coast - FLORIDA
    Wahhh Wahhhh Wahhhh

Well there are a few thing to complain about.

- $20 upgrade for iPod touch apps (thanks for permission to complain)
    - Time Capsule, A feature that the original base station was supposed to have BUILT IN. I bought an Base station and a hard drive from a mac store for this purpose.
    - No increase in size or technology of the iphone. Back to my old carrier for another 2 years. Even an announcement, that begins shipping in April would have been ok. (if apple wants to play in the cell phone game, a product cant sit still.)
    - Macbook Air isnt amazing industrial design. if it included a DVD and a removable battery, ... it would be close to amazing. (these are things I NEED for my overseas business travel)
    - Apple TV - over pirced way to rent movies? cool for pics and youtube viewing but I have my Macbook.
    - Movie rentals for only 24 hrs?? Ok for some but anyone with young kids knows that sometimes you need more than 1 night to watch a movie. 48 would have been fine. I would like a netflix type approach. "return it when I begin downloading my next movie.
    - NO Apple display update - It's been forever since an update or price drop. I love the current design but I think the option of adding a iSight is overdue. Especially since they stopped making the add on iSight.

So in my eyes and an investor in Apple Inc. I see this as a bad MacWorld. Look at the stock prices since. down almost $20 bucks!

Try again Apple!

11. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2007
    I'm surprised more people weren't happy about "Time Capsule". N speed and a terabyte worth of server-grade hard drive space. I know it's going to make my life a LOT more steamlined... then again, I have multiple wireless macs.

I also think the AppleTV could really change the movie-rental industry. I'm surprised more people don't agree. I'm also surprised more people aren't happy to buy an affordable solution that makes their iTunes library of music and video watchable/listenable in their living-room, easily.

The Air is very cool. Not something I'm in the market for, but I can see how great a device it is for the traveler.

Then again, this is a forum full of tech-geeks... of which a LOT of us have already found solutions for this stuff, or it's not in our list of "wants". While most of my non-geek friends wouldn't know the first thing about getting their iTunes music to their stereo or TV, and while most of them can't figure out how to backup their computers regularly (and easily), I have solutions for both. Apple is introducing these products TO THEM. To the people who need simple solutions, to the people who like neat-looking, easy-to-operate computer equipment. To the business guy who travels all the time, or the college student who can't live without their laptop at their side.

Around here, those people may seem to be a niche crowd, but honestly, WE are the niche crowd.
  12. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Dec 23, 2006
    In my imagination
    I don't want to make a new thread about this question I am going to ask you Eidorian so I will ask it here then reply to the thread. How is that MacBook of yours? I am thinking of getting a Mac Pro soon, and I promised my good friend that I would sell him my MBP once I got a new MBP. That doesn't seem to be happening as of the 15th :rolleyes: so I am going to spring for the Mac Pro and get a MacBook to be my portable for a few months until the NEW 17" redesigned MacBook Pro comes out. Then the girlfriend can get the MacBook.

As for the complaining... i think it's well justified. Not that people were expecting miracles, but many of us were expecting update pro gear. Time Capsule is nice but could be better... I am getting the TB model myself. The Air Book has a few issues with it that true lovers of ultra portable machines may not be able to give up... it reminds me of the iPhone. Jobs wasted time on iPhone and iPod Touch updates because he knew the iPhone junkies would eat it up.

Apple TV update was VERY nice... and a price drop.... MAN that is what MacWorlds are for. Now... the issues i have are... the lack of Cinema display updates... or price drops, very bad move. I can't go for Dells but they are looking mighty nice. No update and redesign of the MacBook Pro... not even a mention or it. Not even an update to Penryn.

I am okay with the keynote, but it wasn't anything to be wowed by, or to get upset over if people don't like what they see.
  13. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    Dear Digital Skunk,

My MacBook is quite fine thank you. I just purchased 4 GB of RAM for my Macbook for Christmas. I can tell you that I haven't had a page out for ages. The GMA X3100 has performed to my expectations and above some. I manage to play Battlefield 1942, and Desert Combat at high resolutions just fine via Rosetta. Sims 2 runs admirably but I need an newer expansion to take advantage of multi-threaded OpenGL. On the Windows side Age of Empires II and Dawn of War: Dark Crusade are playable as well. I've noticed a big boost in encoding performance moving from a Core Duo 2.0 GHz for those few times where I do so.

I bought this laptop as the midrange stock model and I believe it is the best Mac I've had to date in terms of performance, portability and upgradeability. I plan on getting a larger hard drive down the road. The MacBook Pro as you know is still out of my price range for a single machine. In the end I decided on the MacBook and a PC gaming minitower that I can keep updated. This cost me around ~$2,000 and each machine does its tasks well.

To me the MacBook Air is just filling in the subnotebook market that some users have been complaining for since the loss of the 12" PowerBook in the model line. Sadly it only brings thinness to the table and not a reduction in screen size. When compared to other notebooks in its class it's a good buy but I don't see the average user or even students rushing out to buy one. It was a sour launch for us veteran users but give the MacBook Air sometime and one day we'll be laughing over what we thought today.

Most new Apple products need time to mature like the Nano has recently and the AppleTV is heading there as well.

I don't think I'll be buying a MacBook Air any time soon or in the future. It only brings looks to the table for me and it's not an all around good purchase like my MacBook. I do feel quite smug now that I didn't wait for MWSF and got to enjoy my new computers back in November.
  14. macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    This Macworld Keynote is all about wireless.

Sure, you won't see update on the display line.

No 16GB iPhone is a shocker. However, I'm happy with all four items on Steve's Keynote. $20 software upgrade for my weeks old iPod touch, I can live with it.
  15. macrumors member

Nov 29, 2007
    The boy who cried don't reply to all

This reminds me of "that guy" who replies to all telling everyone on the receiver list not to "reply all". Guess we'll need a new thread to complain about the people who complain about complainers. For the record, this is just an observation... not a complaint :rolleyes:
  16. macrumors member

Jul 9, 2007
    Ya sure whatever, but complaining is just so much more fun
  17. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Dec 23, 2006
    In my imagination
    Thanks bud... was curious about the GFX card in the Book and you gave me a good understanding of how good it will perform. I agree that Mac users looking for a lightweight 12" PB replacement may either be happy or upset about the MBA. Personally, since the screen size is still 13.3" and the it weighs 3 lbs. I'd go for the far more economical MacBook. Besides... I get a faster, larger HDD in a machine that costs a little less for the loss of a MT trackpad and a backlit keyboard.... I can live with that.

Yes, the MBA will grow on us and the market it's built for as did the many other Apple products released in 07' it may even come down in price :rolleyes: to at least the $1500 price tag of the 12" PB. I still think Apple should have gone with a smaller screen size and a thicker case, which is what I want them to do with the 17" MBP.... make the case just a little bigger and squeeze more hardware inside. No one really expects 17" books to be super light weight. Time will tell if the MBP comes in as a true performer that could be stacked up against the PC comp and if the MBA becomes a hit in the business world with the new Office 08.

So starts another year. How long until WWDC? :D
  18. macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Most (not all) Mac users are way too picky. I think this Macworld was amazing!
  19. macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    I agree that a product can't sit still, but to announce an upcoming upgrade would simply be foolish. The current sales wold drop like a rock. Update in April (or February/March), then announce the day you are ready to ship.
  20. macrumors regular

Nov 10, 2006
  21. macrumors 6502

Jul 8, 2005
    Santa Rosa, California
    Good luck...

I mentioned something like this over in the Mac Pro forum, asking for more order and less bickering/double threads on same issues/overall complaining and I was told by more than a few to sit down and shut up.

I was not mean about it, I wasn't putting anyone down, I wasn't doing anything hurtful to this forum, or making personal attacks. On the flip side, everyone was telling me off, saying to shut up, etc. etc. etc. I even had personal attacks on me as a member of this forum by certain users. I had it dealt with by moderators but it shouldn't have to be taken that far.

I agree with you about complaining about MacWorld. If you don't like it, find a particular forum thread and deal with it there. Don't start new threads just because you feel the need for everyone to hear your voice.

But trust me, you'll find that more people on here would rather burn you at the stake then listen to reason and actually do a search or complain in a specific thread.

22. macrumors regular

Lord Sam

Exactly! I loved MWSF, but everyone around me seems to hate it! I guess its just that. If Apple didn't discover aliens and install them into their newest technology, no one will care about their products. We've come to expect so much from them, especially at MW. :apple:
  23. macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2008
    Yeah, lets stop complaining and talk about...uhmmm....that, no...uhhmmm...

Ok, back to complaining.

Damn that Airbook.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Jun 27, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    So by complaining about complainers, that somehow resolves everything.
  25. macrumors member

Jun 4, 2006

Not only were the product introductions luke warm (and hugely overpriced in the case of the Air), but the whole show was second rate. They even screwed up getting people in the first day. I waited one hour till they just let us all go in. Also, the booths were just jammed in everywhere. Hard to find anything. This was IDG's fault, not Apple's, but it colored the whole day for me.

Nope, Apple missed the boat on this one. iTunes movies was the only big deal to me. One other thing about the Air that no one seems to be mentioning. It comes with an iPod drive, folks. Ever seen how hot they get after one copies 30 MB of data to it. Don't try any heavy crunching for extended periods with that thing. It will start a campfire. Should have used only SSD's, and it should then have had a MacBook Pro price. Just a loser.

And, BTW, Lord Sam, APPLE gives us the impression that MW is a big deal. They laid the foundation for our expectations. Check their stock price after the last week or so, since MW.

Note: I am an avid Apple user since 1982.