Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PixlTwister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Toledo,Ohio
Mornin'.. this is my maiden posting.

I'm trying to stop the default action of iPhoto from opening every time I plug in my digital camera (Kodak Pro 14n). I prefer to use the proprietary software that runs my camera. I remember seeing a window that asked if I wanted this procedure to happen, but it doesn't come up anymore.

I'm running OSX 10.3.9 on a G4. Any help would be great!

Thanks

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Seems like a pref like that should be under System Prefs. The current CD/DVD panel controls similar items. Perhaps Apple should look into calling it "Digital Media" and adding cameras, iPods, etc. It could be a one stop for all your automatic settings, in addition to their current places. No one has ever had a problem with a little redundancy.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Superdrive said:
Seems like a pref like that should be under System Prefs. The current CD/DVD panel controls similar items. Perhaps Apple should look into calling it "Digital Media" and adding cameras, iPods, etc. It could be a one stop for all your automatic settings, in addition to their current places. No one has ever had a problem with a little redundancy.

Agreed. It's just as annoying to set default email in Mail, default Browser in Safari, and so on. Guess Apple has been learning from M$.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Le Big Mac said:
Agreed. It's just as annoying to set default email in Mail, default Browser in Safari, and so on. Guess Apple has been learning from M$.
Apple has changed paradigms for its Internet apps. The change was made a couple of years ago with the introduction of MacOS X 10.3, IIRC. At any rate, some third-party apps have been updated to reflect the change. Some have not. It is simply not true that you are required to use Apple's Internet apps to change the default. Mozilla's Camino is just one non-Apple browser that has now allows you to change the default web browser. There are several others. It is your right to disagree with Apple's current paradigm for selecting default Internet apps. But, just because Apple does something that you don't like doesn't mean it's "learning from M$."

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
IMO this is one of the most unintuitive things about OSX and the iApps. But maybe I'm still sore and sour for having dealt wth it for a year before giving in and asking here :eek:

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
MisterMe said:
It is your right to disagree with Apple's current paradigm for selecting default Internet apps. But, just because Apple does something that you don't like doesn't mean it's "learning from M$."

Are you on a short fuse? Here's why it seems like MS: Absent a third-party app. that buys into the apple paradigm (or is reprogrammed to work within it), one needs to use the iApp to start just to change the settings to something else. It's not exactly the most sensible. Like Microsoft, it creates an added bias towards teh apple programs.

don't get me wrong--i like the iapps for teh most part. But a lot of people need something more sophisticated (i use entourage; others use photoshop or final cut, etc.). Why not have a preference pane for setting certain iapps? One pane could handle mail, internet, photo, movie, something else I've forgotten?

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Le Big Mac said:
Why not have a preference pane for setting certain iapps? One pane could handle mail, internet, photo, movie, something else I've forgotten?

I think the answer is in a "Digital Media" preference pane. Takes care of mail, internet, tunes, dvds, photos, etc. Maybe I should submit to Apple.

Peregrinechris

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2008
Image Capture preferences won't open

I'll just add the setting for this is in Image Capture > Preferences.

In trying to stop iPhoto from auto launching I have tried to go about this route but Image Capture preferences won't open, what's the best way to fix or bypass this hiccup?

JolieCat

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
Same problem here

In trying to stop iPhoto from auto launching I have tried to go about this route but Image Capture preferences won't open, what's the best way to fix or bypass this hiccup?

Image Capture preferences opens for me, but there's nothing that says don't launch or don't open iPhoto or anything that looks like that. I've opened every tab on IC and every pane and I don't see anything that stops it.

IPhoto is launching every time I start or restart my iMac and it is truly driving me nuts. I have more than 7,000 images so you can imagine how this slows down everything.

I've unchecked the box in the dock that says "open at login." Shouldn't that be enough?

Please help! I've searched all over. Thank you!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Image Capture preferences opens for me, but there's nothing that says don't launch or don't open iPhoto or anything that looks like that. I've opened every tab on IC and every pane and I don't see anything that stops it.

IPhoto is launching every time I start or restart my iMac and it is truly driving me nuts. ...
It is neither an Image Capture preference nor an iPhoto preference. It is a Finder preference. Plugin your camera. A menu pops-up that allows you to tell the Finder how to handle the camera.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
It is neither an Image Capture preference nor an iPhoto preference. It is a Finder preference. Plugin your camera. A menu pops-up that allows you to tell the Finder how to handle the camera.

Actually, doesn't have a thing to do with the Finder, and you only see that dialog box if you've set the preferences to ask each time.

The preference you're looking for has been moved to iPhoto:

Screen%20shot%202011-01-28%20at%2011.46.31%20PM.PNG

jW

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003

There is no Preferences option in Image Capture's menu. Rather, the preferences are located in a small box at the bottom of the left side panel. If they aren't there, click the little box with a downward-facing arrow icon all the way at the bottom of the window. That will toggle it (similar to the way you can toggle the album art window in iTunes). There you will find the check-boxes to control what apps open when an iPhone or camera is connected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.