Stop iTunes from automatically adding a song to the library.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redfire, Jun 30, 2006.

1. redfire macrumors member

Jun 30, 2006
    Hello, I am a new mac user and I recently just bought a macbook, and I'm very happy so far, but iTunes is driving me nuts.

Here's the situation, lets say I downloaded an example of the moo sound, that is plaguing certain macbooks, to my hard drive and I want to play it with iTunes, but I do not want it to be added to my library (I'm not going to ever listen to this again, it will be deleted within minutes). Yet, when I play the song it is automatically added to the library and then I have to go about the process of removing it.

I've searched the forums, I've looked through iTunes and I have found nothing.

Basically what I want is for iTunes to not add a song to the library if I play it through Finder. I only want iTunes to add songs to the library if I go to File > Add to Library. Is this possible? Thanks!
  2. fenixx macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2006
    Hmm, I thought I had the answer but I was mistaken.

The closest thing I got was keeping the file and not copying (via Pref) but I'm sure you have already attempted that.
  3. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    No not really. iTunes is designed to manage your music collection, not just play a one time sound clip. However, Quicktime is designed for that.

If you use Quicktime to open the sound files (right click/control click and choose open with) they will just play without adding them to the library or moving the files.

If you choose get info of the sound file and then change to "open with" to Quicktime and then choose "Change all", then all files of that type will automatically open with Quicktime when you double click them.
  4. redfire thread starter macrumors member

Jun 30, 2006
    I see, thanks for the help. It sounds like a reasonable solution to my problem. :eek:
  5. grimleyj macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2006
    Yeah this really pisses me off. I have hundreds of garbage audio files in my iTunes library. There really should be an option to disable this default behaviour.