Stop Lion! Let Mac be a Mac.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by thronborg, Nov 2, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Steve Jobs talk about Lion scared me. His staff and the young guys have really messed it up. This start to look like a kindergarten.

This is nothing else like playing around with people that seriously work with their computers. If you want to play do it with iPad, or a new iKid.

OSX10.6 and now iPhoto11 have failed and to put a lot of funny interface in Lion will not help.

Stop fore a while and think it over please.

thronborg

2. Guest

spinnerlys

www.apple.com/feedback

Btw, we only saw a tenth of what Mac OS X Lion is, maybe even less.

Btw, how has Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard failed?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard failed, yes and no.

Sorry i dont made myself clear. Not in the interface, its likely as it always have been.

Is there any other OS upgrades that make so many people frustrated than OSX10.6. My point is that OSX was released to early. How many thousand users has not "@PÖ over 10.6 because their printers and other things stop working, and OSX10.6 still have this problem, I know its always some other company companies problem, Canon, HP etc. But the fact is that everything start to go wrong with OSX10.6 in my opinion.

Thronborg

4. macrumors 603

HLdan

Unfortunately for you 10.6 is running beautifully so your fail comment is moot at this point regardless of any issues upon it's first release. You're saying Stop Lion? Let Mac be a Mac? And how would Lion stop this? You haven't even seen 1/10th of what it's going to do. If you don't like the way Lion is based on what you've seen so far then no worries, stay on Snow Leopard, or maybe Leopard since you think SL is such a failure. I for one am looking forward to Lion and Mac OS X does need changes to stay far ahead of Windows. Too many people (PC Fans) say Windows 7 is on par with SL. I disagree, SL is far better but Apple needs to take it to the next level of computing.

5. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh look, another in a long line of overreactions to seeing a few eye candy features for an OS due out in 8-9 months. :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 68030

You're not looking at the issue very clearly. In raw numbers, more people were frustrated with 10.6 than were frustrated with any other previous release of OS X. However, more people were using Macs and upgraded to 10.6 than were at any time in history before. So, you're right, more people were frustrated with 10.6 than any other release of OS X. The percentage of people having problems, though, was about the same as with 10.5.

10.6 has given me absolutely zero issues, BTW.

What you want is not to let Mac be a Mac. What you want is to keep Mac as what you think a Mac is. Mac is whatever Apple makes it. They made it, they have the right to change it as they see fit. Their history is full of controversial decisions that often (though not always) proved right in the end.

The end result is that you don't have to choose to upgrade to Lion.

7. macrumors G3

roadbloc

I did have problems with my upgrade to Snow Leopard. Fortunately, a clean install instead of an upgrade solved this.

Personally I'm looking forward to Lion.

8. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

Seriously? This post is what looks like a kindergarten.

Sorry, but as other people have now pointed out, this seems like a major overreaction and misinterpretation of the small sneak peak we got, plus a regurgitation of many other uninformed bloggers and forum posters here and many other places who didn't bother thinking it through before they posted either.

Take a second and think about it.

jW

9. BetaHal, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

macrumors newbie

Yeah, it looks like many people seem to dislike the general direction that Apple is aiming at with Lion...

But hey, Mal, don't worry!
    Just ignore the posts if you don't like them! :D

[​IMG]

10. macrumors 68000

10.6 did not fail.

I even booted my MP2009 from day one in 64-bit mode and that worked perfectly too.

Four Macs. Zero Problems.

11. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Please provide supporting information on why you think 10.6 has failed. While I'll not argue the case about iPhoto 11, that is more attributed to bugs, then a failed design AFAIK.

I'm running 10.6 and had little problems, in fact I've been quite successful with it on a mac mini, MBP and two hackintoshs. That doesn't sound like its failed.

12. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

Wow, you really don't get it. The people that don't like something are the ones that are reading the bogus (made-up) information about where Apple is "aiming" with Lion.

It's all made up. Apple has shown no indications of locking down OS X. They have shown no indication of any of the doomsday predictions out there.

Oh yeah, and you've now invoked Godwin's Law. This thread can die now.

jW

13. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's too bad that you seem to have problems with 10.6, but I am not. 10.6.4 on both of my Mac's runs so nice and so smooth that's it's simply amazing. I never have problems.

14. macrumors 6502a

I had no problems either. I installed a week after release. Two macs, 6 different printers, 4 different cameras.

15. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to, like you could go from tiger to SL.

16. thread starter macrumors newbie

Welcome to Apples new look.

In my view Apple have absolutely changed their direction. Just look at iPhoto, a bad written app, and many of the old features are just gone. And many people got their pictures deleted, or library messed up. And the look, i dont want to talk about it.

Apple says "Incredible NEW iLife11", include iWeb and iDVD with no upgrade at all, the same old stuff. iLife consist of 5 apps and if 2 of them are the old one, how can they call it "Incredible NEW iLife11" This is not true!

This is not the way to operate serious and professional in my world.

Remember. Its the same company that makes Lion.

I just dont se how you cant be worried . Is it not obvious that Apple think after the success with iPad and iPhone they just are so sure that this is the way a computer should operate to.

Downgrade man 2.

17. macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

They've also released an update for iPhoto to fix that problem. It's not as if they want people's photos to be deleted. As far as features are gone, what features? Please provide evidence instead of opinion.

It is completely true. Who says they have to update all of their apps at the same time? While that would be nice if they did, that doesn't mean they can't issue new apps while keeping the old ones intact to make a complete disc.

You can still use your Mac the way you did before – these are options to use, not the only way. So nope, it's not obvious at all, unless you're easily frightened by FUD.

18. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mackilroy
    They've also released an update for iPhoto to fix that problem. It's not as if they want people's photos to be deleted.

Answer
    Aha... Of course not. But to release a public version that deletes the customers files is new. No matter if they release a fix. THIS IS NOT ALLOWED 2010,NO WAY!.

Mackilroy
    As far as features are gone, what features? Please provide evidence instead of opinion.

Answer
    It obviously that you have not seen iPhoto11. The biggest, (my view) is the lack of sending a batch of photos, neither can you send them in smaller files than original, and not without the silly book design. Read more at:
    http://forum.hardmac.com/index.php?showtopic=9147

Mackilroy
    It is completely true. Who says they have to update all of their apps at the same time? While that would be nice if they did, that doesn't mean they can't issue new apps while keeping the old ones intact to make a complete disc.

Answer
    If Apple sell iLife11, a package including 4 apps. and release the package as "Incredible NEW iLife11". Then 99.9% of the user just think that. If they sell them as stand alone apps its ok, but Apple dont. You cant buy just iPhoto. Its a odd view you have, i wonder in what business you are?

Mackilroy
    You can still use your Mac the way you did before – these are options to use, not the only way. So nope, it's not obvious at all, unless you're easily frightened by FUD.

Answer
    Yes you are right, all users have a lot of choices today. Regarding apps, instead of iPhoto you can use Picasa, Shobox, Aperture, Lightroom, Microsoft Expression etc. But the OS we are dependent of and cant choose. And the Apps we buyed from them must be trusted.

Downgrade man 2.

19. macrumors 68040

If only Apple could come up with some online system where we could just buy and install one app at a time, from some sort of "store" on our Macs. It could look something like this:

[​IMG]

But we should definitely stop them from releasing Lion, because surely it would never have a great new feature like this!

20. macrumors 68000

If you followed everything else as much as you follow the garbage you read about Lion you would see they are releasing an App Store for the Macs...as admanimal pointed out you can buy every piece of iLife individually. Personally I think you should have paid more attention to your english/grammar teacher, just my opinion.

21. thread starter macrumors newbie

Steve Jobs say...

I dont listen to garbage talk, i only talk from my own experience, and refer to the source.

Thoose of you that have looked at Steve Jobs introduction to iLife 11 where he also told a little of Lions future and how it will looks. I dont think Steve talk garbage.

About my grammar. I am sorry, i am 53 years old, live in Sweden. We started to learn english in 5 class and i am not use to speak or write english. I hope you understand and respect also non US members.

Best regards

22. macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

the ONLY complaint you see to have is iLife 11 and iPhoto.

I fail to see how thats your deal breaker this early in the game.

23. macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I am always open to new ideas especially software that runs better and faster, however the one issue that will concern me is what Apple is looking to do with the iPhone next.

They want to track what you do and where you go so they say it is for building a better user experience, but I think it is more an invasion of privacy, but we will see where iOS and the iPhone goes next.

If you do not like Lion, simply stay with OSX 10.5 or 10.6, I am using a uMB from Mid 2009 with 10.5 and it runs perfectly no issues, except I may need a new battery soon but that is it.

24. Animacnut, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

macrumors newbie

I for one am looking forward to Lion and have found Apples innovations thus far in Both Mac OS (X) and iOS very cutting edge and creative.

Now mind you I am not a Trekkie, but if you look carefully as to what Apple is doing, they steering the industry with many of it's innovations, and some of them seem to be straight out of Star Trek.

I mean honestly, how much closer can you get to a Star Trek style tricorder than an iPhone, iPod or iPad? If you don't believe me, go watch How William Shatner Changed The World.

Dumbing down to kindergarten level, I think not. Allowing people to get to and complete what they need to faster and more efficiently. You Bet! All that information at your fingertips, I mean come on, granted it is for iOS, but how is having the ability to monitor the status of your car (points to recent GM commercials) or home security system (ADT) on your iPhone a bad or kindergarten type of thing?

Not to mention all the distribution and packaging costs for apps, that are saved via the iOS App Store and can also be saved once the Mac App store goes live.

As for many of the problems that occurred when people upgraded to 10.6. From what I know the vast majority were with non-apple software and hardware. It is not Apple's responsibility to ensure 3rd party products work with their latest software release, but instead to provide those third parties with the tools to bring their own products up to snuff so they can run with out problems. Now if it is an Apple program/hardware that is not compatible, then yes, Apple needs to put their nose to the grind stone and fix it. But if it is say Adobe's program (there were a lot of complaints of problems with adobe product upon the release of SL if I remember correctly), then Adobe needs to get off their rears and fix it, not Apple (and as for me, forcing me to buy an upgrade to fix the problem is not an acceptable fix, I am still irked that they did not patch Version Cue for CS4 to make it 64 bit).

I have been told that the main reason Microsoft has some many problems with many of their Windows releases is that they actually try to support old hardware and software on their own, not without the help of the manufacturer, though please do not quote me on this.

25. macrumors regular

The future of Apple products are dumbed-down idiot devices for passive users.
    I don't think Steve Jobs understands that a lot of the people who use Macs are creative professionals who can handle the complexity and power of a proper operating system.

I'm not purchasing anything Apple until I see any evidence that I'm wrong on this.

I definitely will NOT upgrade to Lion, even if its free. It's not even worth the half our upgrade time.

Seriously apple? How many years did you have to work on this?