Stop Palladium petition...?

Discussion in 'Community' started by bobindashadows, Jan 23, 2003.

1. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Hey guys. I just saw this petition against Palladium, and i'm not sure whether to suggest you guys sign it or not. I mean, it would be good for the mac platform, right? I could send it out to my whole school, would that be worth doing? it would give peopel an awareness of microsoft's evil... anyway gimme your opinions the link is http://www.petitiononline.com/tcpa1/petition.html

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Stop Palladium petition...?

oh come on, you think microsoft will stop it, i think not. if people get mad at it, maybe they will find an alternative like the mac. palladium will only be problem and inconvienence if you use stolen software. i think these petitions are stupid. the sims people have a better chance then these people on this petition.

iJon

3. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

personally, i can't wait for palladium and TCPA to kick into full swing. I've been telling a lot of my friends recently, and it angered most of them. Funny thing is, after i explain it, they're like, "okay, so ill just buy a mac then," at which point i smile at them. That moment is priceless, because most of them bash me for owning a mac, but after a few months of workin it into them, they dont see it as so bad anymore.so i will not be signing the petition. :D

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

can anyone explain palladium to me in simple, short and sweet terms?

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

me too. thought i was just stupid, but maybe not :) i know it's something about all services tying together, sounds very scary... confusing... its being touted as a huge breakthrough but everyone already hates it?

pnw

6. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

i found this page a while ago, it'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about TCPA and Palladium. (has it summarized in plain english)

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

7. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

ahh so if this happens as bill gates wants it... then this would be great great news for Apple?

8. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Not necessarily. If a specific code or dongle is required to play dvd (for example), then apple's are likely to be screwed anyway. It'll be similar to the copy protection on some music cd's i suspect, where they won't play on mac's.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it allows an outside entity to monitor your local system. e.g. it can wipe out viruses and protect you from intruders.

if abused, it can monitor everything you do, zap illegal s/w (of s/w you haven't paid to have upgraded), zap or render unusable documents made by that s/w, and, perhaps most importantly, zap or otherwise control digital content like mp3s.

here's my guess on another use:

i've noticed that MS views operating systems as a marketing opportunity. i predict that this technology will mean increased use of target marketing (since all your web and email activities will be open to tracking)

10. Choppaface macrumors 65816

althought a petition might be a good idea, it would be far more persuasive if it were written in a more formal manner.

11. 3777 macrumors 6502

Best way to stop Palladium: buy Macs and put Red Hat in your PC hardware:cool:

12. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I really don't care about Palladium because I don't use PC's anymore and never will again, if it will piss off as many pc users as it seems it is doing then maybe it will bring in more business for Apple...

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus