Stop reading PDF's in Safari? Open with Acrobat.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GimmeSlack12, Sep 22, 2006.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Is there a way to stop PDF's from opening inside of Safari? I figure there is some type of solution to this but I can't be bothered to figure it out myself as I have wasted too much too much time on it already.

2. mufflon macrumors 6502

there's always right click->save as - which would emulate how it was handled before (but you'll have to open the document once on your harddrive).

Another solution might be to somehow change the mime for pdf to download rather than read, but dunno if that is even archievable.

gl anyhow :)

edit: I found a way!

write this in your terminal
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool YES
    change to NO if you want to change back to how it is now

3. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ahh, thank you much Mufflon, it took a combination of you're Terminal code and to remove the PDF internet plug-in. And now it works how I want.

4. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Just out of interest, is there a particular reason why you would rather use Acrobat than Preview?

5. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Some websites force you to use acrobat - I was ticked off that my car insurance's website allowed me to use Safari, but forced me to download acrobat to "sign" my policy, which was in PDF format.

6. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I have a similar question: I remember in a previous version of Safari/Acrobat, the PDFs that opened in Safari had the complete Acrobat toolbar displayed as well. This was handy, since I could do everything from Safari without having to download and re-open the file. Is there any way to get this functionality back?

7. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Try this...

Quit Safari.
    Open Acrobat Reader or Professional
    Hit CMD-K (alternatively, go Acrobat menu > Preferences)
    Click Internet
    Make sure the two options "Display PDF in browswer using Adobe Acrobat" and "Check browser settings when starting Acrobat" are checked.
    Log out of admin and back into your regular account and try the PDF again in Safari.

8. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I find that Acrobat allows navigation through PDF's easier than Preview. On a small iBook (12") I do not like to have the Drawer taking up screen space.

[Gives Preview another look]

After looking through Preview again and Acrobat with the same file it is actually not as bad as I remembered. Might be the case where I never gave Preview a chance.
    Also the difference in memory of these two programs is significant.
    UAAerospace that is a good solution too.

9. DrGroove macrumors newbie

Tinkertool

Tinkertool disables native PDF support in Safari with one click (and a Safari restart).

I generally want to refer to PDFs later on (so I want it downloaded anyway), and the lag in Safari displaying the contents of a PDF inline really, really bugs me. (So that's why I want it disabled).

10. MotleyPete macrumors regular

You should try Skim (It's free, open source). Check it out

[​IMG]

11. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Guys, this thread is years old. In getting PDF's for my dissertation the opening of files in Safari was annoying. Thank god I am said and done with the dissertation and I have purchased myself a big 24" iMac to quickly move through files. Grad school pays!

Good suggestions though.

12. MotleyPete macrumors regular

Oh wow. I didn't realise it was a zombie thread.

Kill it!