Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcanpolat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Ireland!
Anyone know how to stop Safari remembering previous open windows & sites? I can't seem to be able to turn this feature off. I've tried turning on private browsing and that doesn't stop it.

I can see how it would be handy for example if you accidentally quit safari but its annoying me a lot because I'm in the habit of quitting Safari every time I'm done with it because Safari in SN liked to hog ram unless quit.

And it gets even worse if your looking at some "adult sites" and you then quit safari, then someone asks you to google something and up comes your previous pages. :D

Anyone got any ideas?

EKaru

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2007
Click the Apple Icon in the top left corner of the screen
Click System Preferences
Click General under the Personal heading
Uncheck Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps

rcanpolat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Ireland!
Click System Preferences

Thank you EKaru. That worked perfectly! :)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Click System Preferences
That'll turn it off system wide though so it won't restore windows on any of your other apps.

Personally, I would just kill all the windows (Cmd+W) then quit safari (Cmd+Q). Takes less than a second.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
That'll turn it off system wide though so it won't restore windows on any of your other apps.

Personally, I would just kill all the windows (Cmd+W) then quit safari (Cmd+Q). Takes less than a second.

Or just quit with Option-CMD-Q :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.