Stop Software Updates! (sort of)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by niter, Jan 28, 2007.

1. niter macrumors 6502

I am wondering how to stop software update from popping up for software I do not even have/use. I do not have keynote or pages installed on my computer, so I do not think I need the update. Should I just install them and be done with it or is there a way to denote that I do not need the updates for those particular items.

Thanks!

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Mark the software update you don't want and press the delete/backspace key. That will make Software Update ignore the update...

Edit: If you've deleted Keynote and/or Pages and still get nagged about updates, then you could also look in /Library/Receipts/ and delete the Keynote and/or Pages packages, too...

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If Software Update is detecting that you need updates for Keynote or Pages then you probably DO have them on your computer. If it's a new Mac you get a 30 day trial version preinstalled (it'll be in Applications -> iWork) and SU is probably showing that those trial versions need to be updated.

If you don't want the software, just drag the iWork folder to the trash and empty the trash.

4. GeoMac25 macrumors newbie

Stop Leopard from checking for updates

Is there a way to select which programs are are checked for updates when you go to Software Update?

5. iTim314 macrumors 6502

Only Apple Software is check through the software update, meaning, no, you can't ADD Software to the "To Check" list, however, like stated above, you can ignore certain updates.

Wasn't there a rumor that Apple was going to open the SU to 3rd party devs?

6. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I wish Apple would do this, or if not SU directly, have a standardized update mechanism for third party programs. I know Macs don't need an uninstaller like Windows, but it would be nice to have something that makes sure not just the files in /Applications are gone, but the receipts and anything else.

7. GeoMac25 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have heard that before. I was hoping that I could stop the update from even looking for a specific application update, like an Apple product. I guess I will have to wait for a 3rd party app.