Stopping shin splints?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by d wade, Jan 24, 2007.

1. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Jun 27, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Lately, I have been getting horrible shin splints in my left leg only when I play basketball. For some reason it does not hurt in my right leg.

Anyone know any tricks, stretches, or ANYTHING that will prevent me from getting this pain?

Thanks in advance
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Rest until you're's tough, but you need to give them time.

Make sure you have good shoes...this is crucial.

Stretch your shins (and calves) prior to exercise. One good stretch you can do is to lift your toes as high as you should feel some pulling in your shins. Even better is if you can add some resistance to you can tuck your toes under the edge of some bleachers or something and press against them with your toes as if you're trying to lift them.
  3. aloofman macrumors 68020

Dec 17, 2002
    Yeah, that's the main thing. It's the impacts that are causing them in the first place. You just have to lay off. It's not like a muscle strain that's healed in only a few days. It's a long-term healing process.
  4. monke macrumors 65816

May 30, 2005
    Try standing on the edge of any stair with just your toes and move yourself up and down. Unless you have to have shoes on, do it in bare socks or bare feet.

Worked for me. :)
  5. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    Just wait a few days, let them heal. Thats what I did. Except I had it in both legs. But it was hard since I had school, so I was forced to walk on them.
  6. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

Jun 27, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    thanks alot. i took yesterday off from playing. i will stretch alot today before i play.

i cant really take a long time off because i am on a team at my university.

thanks for the tips
  7. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2007
    I think you can get inserts that go in your shoes that are supposed to help.

Are you playing for school? If so don't they have a trainer?
  8. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2005
    The Hub of the Universe
    you may want to check out past articles on
    lots of good info there.

also, I know this is much easier said then done, but when running (or striking your foot against the ground with greater than normal force- ie. walking up stairs) try to lead with your toes rather than your heal.
  9. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Wow, I'm surprised no one has said anything about ICE yet.

Get bags of ice and ice your shins for 15-20 minutes every hour for about 2 to 3 hours.

Even better: Get a big trash can and fill it with ice and water and completely immerse your legs from the knee down.

Shin splints are primarily the inflamation between the muscle and the bone. The best way to stop the pain and heal is to reduce the inflamation and the most effective way to do that is to:

Simply waiting around for them to go away will not help the problem. You need to combine icing with rest.
  10. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Nov 20, 2003
    You should really go see the trainer, shin splints and come from many causes including repetitive activity, improper form, weakness in muscles. An athletic trainer, like a coach, can give you good insight into what exactly is going wrong. The immediate problem can be fixed with rest...more than a day. Try a week at minimum. The problem may be a larger problem with form, so it would be to your benefit (and your longivity playing sports) to have a professional take a look at your situation.
  11. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Agreed. Low arches in the foot can also cause shin splints.

Not all athletic trainers are coaches. ;)

Rest and ice. ;)
  12. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    You play for a university and you're asking a MR forum about shin splints. :eek: Ask your team doctor or trainer!

Or, is this an intramural team? :D

oh, and eat bananas...