Stopping Software update from crashing?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Redbull, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Redbull macrumors newbie

Hello,

Everytime I click on software update, it crashes everytime. Also, if I try download any update packages from Apple, it tells me that I need to find an application.

I've tried repair disk permissions and this keeps appearing everytime: We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877

It never seems to do anything :(

Thanks

2. Redbull thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to bump.

Can anyone help?

Much appreciated

3. firewizard macrumors member

4. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Same thing happened on my cousin's powerbook. This is what I did to resolve it. I downloaded the 10.4.2 update file on another mac and transferred it to the powerbook. After I ran the update sucessfully, software update no longer crashed afer that.

5. Redbull thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to open up all my firewall connections to see if that helps. No avail.

taeclee99, it's just a bummer that I don't own another mac! :(

Argh!

Could it be done via MSN? - like transffering?

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You might want to try the command line version, just to get you over the hump

Open Terminal, then

softwareupdate -l (that's a lowercase L) should show you what is available (there will be the normal delay before it prints anything).

softwareupdate -i should run the actual updates.

Wanna try those and see what the results are?

7. Redbull thread starter macrumors newbie

After I did the last one:

softwareupdate -i
    Bus error
    Nicholas:~ nicholas$ softwareupdate -i
    Software Update Tool
    Copyright 2002-2005 Apple

Must be run as root
    Nicholas:~ nicholas$

Sounds like there's a bus error? I have no idea. Does it need to be fix?

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Well, that at least explains why the GUI version doesn't work!

Now, on downloading 10.4.2 from Apple, you tried that and it said some program was missing, is that right? Does it say what's missing?

I'd be starting to think of doing an archive and install from the Tiger DVD around now.

(The "must be run as root" message is normal, by the way; it wants that command prefixed with sudo because it needs admin privileges to install stuff. The bus error message, on the other hand, is saying that something called by softwareupdate has plain old crashed.)

9. Redbull thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Yes, when I download 4.2, it asks me to open up an application as it can't find the default application launcher for that specific download. I've tried Suffit Expander, no luck.

Should I re-install Tiger Upgrade now? - Does it keep all my emails, widgets etc... or not?

Thanks for your help iMeowbot

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The 10.4.2 updater is a disk image (.dmg), you won't need Stuffit. If Disk Utility is working, you could try using that to open and mount it, but simply double-clicking the file should do the right thing, unless someone ate DiskImageMounter.app Or, if it is mounting, Installer.app may be missing or broken :confused:

11. Redbull thread starter macrumors newbie

When I open up 4.2 dmg, this appears ''MacOSXUpdate10.4.2.pkg'' I've tried mounting it to disk utility and nothing happens.

Before that, I download Cocktail (maintenance program which is a dmg file) - no problems at all. Why does software update have to be sooo difficult!.

Shall I upgrade with Tiger or not?

I went to spotlight and typed in ''Installer.app'' - nothing appeared. It is missing?

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Okay, the .pkg file is supposed to get opened by Installer, which is supposed to be in the Applications/Utilities folder. If the program is there, you can try dragging the .pkg file there to see if it will open that way.

If that doesn't work, you might try fishing around in your OS X install disc for its copy of Installer, but reinstalling the OS is looking more and more like the easier way out :(

13. Redbull thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally fixed it!. Installer had vanished for some reason, so I re-installed updated Tiger OS. All done! :)

Some how, I've lost 4GB while doing this! :eek:

Who cares, as long as it works, I'm happy!.

Firewizard, check if you've got installer. If you haven't, do the above process.

Big thanks to iMeowbot!

14. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I too have a broken Software Update. I posted a thread on it to no avail. I tried entering the terminal command and instantly all I get is:

"2005-07-21 13:03:32.450 softwareupdate[5174] *** Uncaught exception: <NSRangeException> *** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (0) beyond bounds (0)
    Trace/BPT trap"

Seems very bizarre. I am going to try to manually download the 10.4.2 updater and see if that fixes anything.

15. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Manually Upgrading to 10.4.2 completely fixed this problem for me. Dear lord I missed a lot of updates!

Attached Files: