Storage option for MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MungoIX, May 14, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2011
    Hey everyone,

I am looking for an external storage option for my MBA, I can't afford a MBpro or an iMac. I currently use a 1TB USB 3.0 WD External HD but when I try and import movies/photos directly to this to save space on my MBA, it crashes. I went into an Apple store and they suggested I use a D-Link DNS 320 NAS that I have at home (currently sitting on a shelf, unused)

I tried to use this but I did some investigating and it seems the firmware on the DNS isn't compatible with snow leopard? I was looking at alternative NAS's now to directly save any data I want (photos, movies, music) on to.

I looked at a time capsule, but a friend said it was slow? I am currently looking at a synology ds212j? would this be a suitable solution? or can anyone recommend anything better?

Thanks in advance
  2. macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2012
    Virginia, USA
    External drives are cheap, Amazon has dozens of them to choose from. I use WD with fine success.
  3. macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2013
    It will be slow the first time you do a full backup, but from there it should only backup your changes to files or new/deleted files so updates will be relatively short, even on wireless.