StorageForum_Net has fallen to Team Macrumors

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Stelliform, Mar 24, 2003.

1. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

And our intercept with MacAddict has been moved up to September 14, 2003! We are out crunching them by 600 pts a day! Keep up the crunching! And great job to everybody who has contributed even one work unit!

Oh, and we currently have no threats set to overtake the team!

Check it out for yourself <Thanks MrMacMan for the link>

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow, that's a long way off - I hope we can keep up the speed...;)

Very cool that we're moving so many WUs. I just wish I could find a few more computers to help....

D

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Well a few days ago it was in November. If we keep adding to our pace we can realistically overtake them in a few months. :)

4. macrumors 68000

mc68k

macaddit is as good as dead

i want to set sights for teammacosx.org

they seem to be less organized than us at this point

5. macrumors 65816

alset

Let's not think small... At the rate we're picking up steam, I say let's shoot for slaughtering them in ten weeks or less. That undercuts our current projections by a couple weeks.

Y'know, we need some cheerleaders or something in our corner.

Dan

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Re: StorageForum_Net has fallen to Team Macrumors

I thought I was cheering. (Just without the dress. ;))

7. macrumors 604

iJon

can someone give me the link to this page again. i will slowly get our whole pc lab running this program and contribute, i cant do it at home because my parents are paranoid and are scared some hacker will come in. is our team id 3446, i cant remember.

iJon

8. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

as soon as my emac comes in it will be running folding nonstop. i hope that is a pretty good contribution.

9. macrumors 68000

mc68k

which page?
    yes it's 3446

if you have anymore questions post them. we'd love to have u folding 4 us.
    a fine contribution. we thank you. :)

10. macrumors 604

iJon

to download the software.

iJon

11. thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Any contribution is a good contribution. Think of it this way, right now we are gaining on AthlonXP at a rate of 34 points a day. Lets say that your rate on your eMac is 10 pts a day. You now have single handedly increased our gain on AthlonXP by 33%!!

Keep on folding!

12. macrumors 604

iJon

does folding use any ports that i should have to worry about. actually im not really worried. my parents have sensitive data but knowing that we are running os x and 2 firewalls behind our network i really dont feel to need to worry. if you guys tell me i have nothing to worry about i have a 2ghz p4 and a dual 1.25ghz g4 i can run this stuff on. please dont lie to me either to get me to do it,lol. i know its tempting

iJon

13. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

14. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

well alright then, i just took my 24/7 linux pentium133 off of useless seti and put it on f@h. it'll probably take six years a wu but hey whatever.

15. macrumors 68000

mc68k

http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html
    -or-
    http://homepage.mac.com/mc68k
    no the ports are configurable. my scripts use the default port that folding sets up.

16. macrumors 68000

mc68k

there are deadlines. the slowest machine i have running is a PII 333 w/512KB cache and it finishes on time.

the benchmarking machine is a 400MHz celeron.

17. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

yeah i did read that. hopefully, even tho my machine is slow, crunching 24/7 will let it keep up with deadlines.

18. macrumors regular

Clients

I want to contribute but which client is the fastest, the graphical or text based and is the text based harder to use. Also, can you resume units to finish them later like with SETI?

19. macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: Clients

yes you can resume the units.

the text based is easier and more transparent with my scripts. the GUI uses only one processor and takes up more CPU whether you have the app hidden or not.

whatever you're comfortable with is best. make sure you're getting the most out of you're machine.

20. macrumors 604

iJon

well i have started crunching and have joined the macrumors team. i am currently crunching on a dual 1.25 ghz g4, 12 inch powerbook, 2gh p4, 3 p3 systems at school. hopefully that will contribute some, i started last night and i have already crunched through 60% of a 400 point protein on my pc.

iJon

21. macrumors 68030

britboy

Not meaning to be pedantic, but it's probably actually just a 400 frame protein, rather than 400 points. Check the points page (as given by mc68k), to see how much your particular protein is worth.

22. macrumors demi-god

szark

Add one more 2.4 Ghz P4 to the list...:)

23. macrumors 604

iJon

ah whatever, im just helping you guys out, frams or points, its all the same to me.

iJon

24. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: StorageForum_Net has fallen to Team Macrumors

OMG, SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T STEAL OTHERS LINKS???
    :breaks down and crys: ;)

And we aren't going and recruiting their 'dead' members? Um ... hello go over there and make our presence felt! :)

I'd like to say that it not even close... my iMac uploads every 2-3 days... Don't expect so much from 1 eMac. :D (unless it is the little eMac that could, then it can do anything)

Wow sudden rush is members, which cave did you people come out of so I can recruit some more people. :D

Did you guys never DC before or something...?

The FAQ page should help you out. For the mac we all love mc68k's scripts (single and dual) and then use one of the 2 progress apps out there. If you have PC and Mac you probably want the one that runs on JAVA (bousozoku's app) because it is cross platform...
    Good luck, good folding.
    (BTW, the passing date is now Step. 29th)

25. macrumors 6502a

kylos

I just started folding on my 500 mhz ibook. Hope I can hit the deadlines. I have some heavy processes running at times and they only give 2.5 times the run time for their celeron for the deadline.