Store vs. Online

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jessep28, Sep 21, 2006.

1. jessep28 macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    Omaha, NE
    Sorry, my network today is being slow, so it's faster to just ask the question rather than search old topics.

I am going to be purchasing a 20" iMac to replace my Dell (1st time Apple buyer). An Apple retail store is opening in my city this Saturday. I am not going to upgrade more than the wireless keyboard and 2GB of RAM.

1) What is the likelihood of the retail store carrying this modified configuration?

2) If the store does have to order it, is the turnaround better than if I ordered online?

The name of the game here is obviously reducing wait time to take delivery. I know the store will know for sure in the end.

2. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2006
    i'm sure the store will upgrade it on the spot for you and there's no real advantage (other than waiting time) of ordering it online or in a store, save for a student discount online, if you are aplicable. i don't know if many stores besides campuses offer the student discount price...

good luck & welcome to the wonderful world of Apple :D
  3. rxl125 macrumors regular

Apr 15, 2006
    Don't ever buy from apple... Buy from Comp USA or some other outlet. Apple's return policy is stupid... I had a bunch of out pixels right in the middle of my screen, but it wasn't enough for them to take it back.... Comp usa has a no hassle return policy.
  4. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    Omaha, NE
    The problem with CompUSA is that you are stuck with an off the shell product.

1) Since the 20" iMac comes standard with 1GB of Ram in 2 x 512 chips, I will need to buy 2GB of ram in 2 1GB chips for approx. 300 instead of just paying Apple the $150 for the extra 1GB upgrade.

Also, instead of just spending $54 for a wireless keyboard/mouse upgrade, I have to shell out market price for both items and am stuck with 2 keyboards and 2 mice.

2) I cannot get an edu discount via CompUSA. You can get it through the Apple store if you have your student ID to confirm you are a student.

3) I know with stand alone LCD monitors, some companies won't take a return if there is a negligable amount of pixils out on the screen. Sometimes that just happens in the product and the companies lawyers insert a disclaimer in the disclosures you get with the warranty.

Maybe that's why they wouldn't take your system back for warranty work.

4) I have to pay taxes either way. No advantage of buying online to avoid them. Granted, I can get the system from Amazon, but then you run into the CompUSA problem with RAM.
  5. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    FYI, B&M Apple Stores apply the student discount with valid school ID. It's not restricted to the online store.
  6. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    Depends how relaxed your store is. I've bought things several times without a student ID, just say that you forgot it or left it at home, and mention a college. I actually do go to college though, so I'm not cheating the system.
  7. NeoMac macrumors regular

Feb 10, 2006
    Check out the refurb store at you can get a 20 inch intel Core Duo for $1199. With the money you save you can pick up a bunch of other stuff like RAM and wireless mouse and keyboard.