Stores running low on iMac G4 systems

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mcfudd, Jun 1, 2004.

1. mcfudd macrumors member

I went to purchase a number of iMac 17" systems today and ran into an low quantities and out-of-stock problems.

First at Comp USA. Then a Mac authorized seller would not confirm or deny if they would be getting any more in -- or when they might get more systems in. Including 20" systems.

Apple store said they could sell me the 7 they had in stock, but advised me to get the rest online. Manager did not know when more would be arriving.

Does this mean a definite GO on a new iMac G5 system at WWDC????

2. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

This means that maybe there is a supply shortage as the line comes to a close. Not likely, but maybe. Perhaps CompUSA is speculating on iMac G5s too, and the Apple store has had strong demand that is depleting their stock. Could be a number of things.

3. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Normally, stock depletion is a sketchy Mac rumour to base things against. It may mean squat.

However, a number of things point to the high likelihood of seeing iMac G5s at WWDC:

- iMacs have not been updated. We should have seen iMac G4 1.5/1.33 GHz models when eMacs/PowerBooks were updated 2 months ago if a major (a.k.a. G5) update wasn't imminent. They are currently outdated and poor value next to the eMac and PowerBooks. This is the biggest reason that screams "G5 iMac coming" to me.

- iMacs could easily go to G5 - a 1.6 or 1.8 GHz version could nicely fit in there without compromising updated Power Mac sales. This fits well with depleting 1.6GHz G5 stocks. It's a given that Power Macs will also be updated.

- iMacs need a major update to revive sales. We may even see some design/asthetic changes. Aluminium anyone?

- "PowerMac 8,1" - new product file info hidden in Mac OS X 10.3.4. Some speculate this is the new product number for a new iMac of the G5 variety.