storing Timemachine's data

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zoran, Jan 28, 2007.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

I was thinking of buying the Western Digital My Book Pro 1Terra series http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=270
    for making my backups, but im not sure if Timemachine will cooperate with it successfully. Does anyone know where Timemachine will store to a certain drive/folder all the info that will be used after as a backup? I mean can i plug in the 1terra to the big firewire port and then through timemachine order it to save the backed up info to that external drive?

2. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

you can define where to store the data in the Time Machine Preference Pane. It will then back those up in their with the files stored by backup date and a data file with the extension .bkpt

Basically what I'm trying to say is that it just stores the files and will put it wherever you want.

c

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

So it stores the files wherever i want it to store them?
    Do you know this of first hand?

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Hopefully can do it over Network, so I can use my backup HDD in my NAS PeeCee for Time Machine backups.

5. Arne macrumors regular

I guess it will indeed work over Network. This would perfectly fit to the fact that the new Airport Station has a Fileserver included (if you attach an external disc).

6. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I'd be really surprised if it DID NOT work over a network. Almost all backup utilities will work with a network share. Seriously, what's the point of backing up files only to a local machine?

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

External HDD over USB/Firewire?

8. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I agree that it is good to backup to an external hdd. However, any backup software that is worth its weight in salt will be able to backup to a network share. (That was my main point).

If you do backup to an external hdd, it is advisable to store the external hdd somewhere that is not near your computer. While an external hdd can save your data in the events of user error or a hardware malfunction, there are many cicrumstances where you will want more protection than that. In the event of theft, fire, flood, or some act of God, your external hdd will be gone with your computer.

That's why good backup utilities work over networks.

9. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Great point there, but im a home user, i cannot aford to have what? Another computer as a sever and there store all my backup? Is there a way to have this 1terra of storage remotely from my MacPro and further away from what a usb or firewire cable can allow?

10. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

and also is Time Machine flexible enough to recover data from the use of an external hd where all the files are worked/saved/opened/closed only within that hd?

11. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Using a NAS Device. (Network-Attached Storage) All I am doing is building a cheap-as-chips PeeCee (Under £150 if you shop around) and putting it on my network headless. At the moment it only has 100Gig of storage, but I have added RAID cards and the likes, so as and when I have plenty of room to add further HDDs.

12. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Sure, setup a NAS. Or, get an old Dell off of craigslist for $50 and slap a copy Ubuntu Linux on it.