straightening metal on back of ipod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by excalibur313, Dec 9, 2005.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2003
    Cambridge, MA
    I have an 3rd generation ipod that I loaned out to someone and I think she squashed it a little or something because the metal on one side came up over the side a little. The ipod works fine but I was wondering if there was a way to get the metal back in the right spot.
  2. jelloshotgun macrumors newbie

Oct 7, 2005
    My 3rd generation iPod does that for no apparent reason. I've brought it to the Apple store and they have a little tool and they'll just fix it right away wth no hassle.
  3. lordj4000 macrumors member

Jul 17, 2005
    In unfathomable darkness

Best i can say is just try to pop it back into place.

Edit: or just do what jello said and take it to an apple store.
  4. freeny macrumors 68020

Sep 27, 2005
  5. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    Sounds like the back has been pushed on a little too far. I've had success in removing the metal back of a 3rd and 1st generation iPod using one of the fake plastic "credit cards" that are sent out with some credit card offers. The benefit of using a "credit card" or some other plastic card is that you are not likely to scratch the ipod as you would do if you used, say, a screwdriver.

If you have a sample credit card, rub the edge with some sandpaper to sharpen one edge of the card a little, and then try working the card into the side of the ipod so that you can push the metal part back into place. If you want to open the ipod, do this, working slowly along both long edges of the ipod. Alternate between each long side and you should be able to carefully ease the metal back off the ipod.

In your case I suspect working the card into the edge of the ipod and pushing the metal back a little will resolve the problem.