Strange ACD Pixel Anomoly - HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rkriheli, Oct 31, 2006.

1. rkriheli macrumors member

Dec 11, 2002
    new york, ny
    Alright, here's the situation. On my ACD 23" Display - whenever I run a program (any program it seems) I get a blue pixel that appears about 50 pixels on top of the dock in the center. It looks like a stuck pixel, but wouldn't it stay there after I quit out of programs? It doesnt come up in screenshots so I doubt it is a program thing.

But here's the twist -- If I play a DVD or even open up Virtual PC running Windows in fullscreen mode - the pixel is gone.

It is quite a strange occurance and I wish I hadn't noticed it, because now my eye is always going down there and I absolutely hate display anomolies, no matter how insignificant or small. I tried doing the massaging the screen or even running pixelmurder quicktime file. None of which solved the issue.

My question is... does anyone ever see something similar? The machine I am running is a G5 dual 2.0ghz / 3gb ram with Tiger 10.4.8 -- if that makes a difference or not. Tonight I am gonna hook it up to my powerbook g4 and see if I get the same issue.

Any ideas?

OH... and if anyone wants to buy my powerbook, less than 5 hours left on the auction:

Going to macbook c2d pro soon!
  2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    I had a problem with pixels one time. Every so often a load of red pixels would randomly flash all over the place. I eventually got rid of the monitor only to find it was the graphics card :rolleyes: Cost me a freakin fortune!

Maybe there is a GPU problem?

Possibly try reseating the card.
  3. rkriheli thread starter macrumors member

Dec 11, 2002
    new york, ny
    i will definitely try that if the pixel anomaly doesnt happen when connecting my powerbook. thanks.
  4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    Yep, that's the graphics card that is overheating. It was probably very dusty and in need of cleaning?!?
  5. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2006
    The OP seems to have a dead subpixel. That would explain a coloured dot on a white background and no dot on a black background. It could possibly be two of the three colours dead on the pixel. I've got a similar situation - Eizo lived up to their reputation and shipped me a pixel perfect panel, but TFTs are TFTs, and this one developed before my eyes after a few hours of use (literally, I saw it flickering) Unless it really bugs you, and since it is close to the bottom of the screen, I wouldn't try and get it replaced. It'll only be a huge headache and Apple give no promises at all that a replacement will be perfect.