Strange Apple ID problem......

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Yomama126, Oct 15, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 6, 2010
    Sigh... because I am a ditz I did not change my Apple ID to the ** format until after I upgraded a phone. For a million years I've been *abcd* for my apple ID. When it was requested after the update process I did change it and kept on moving.

I went on to upgrade an iPad and didn't really think about it. Yesterday evening, when trying to update apps on the iPad I noticed the ID on the update app screen was still *abcd*. I kept getting a password error every time I tried to enter one, too :( No amount of signing out, signing in on the iPad would change that default in the app upgrade screen. I also could not upgrade the apps on my computer because I kept getting a "you haven't purchased the major version of this app" type message ??? Finally, in desperation I followed through on the "iForgot" screen that came up after a million tries on the update app screen. It actually allowed me to reset the password on my *abcd"* ID, sent the link to my ** email addy and then allowed me to update the apps on my iPad - despite being logged in under **. I am truly confused!

Anyone have any similar issues?
  2. macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2008
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Unfortunately I think you are going to have to continue to use the "abcd" iTunes name. does not work for you because it is a completely different iTunes account. I am going through a problem very similar to you, I would like my iCloud ( email to be my ITunes username but everything I purchased is through another account with at the end. Hopefully apple will alow us to merge accounts one day.
  3. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2009
    Ran into this issue with the wife's account.

Just update your account at - problem solved!
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 6, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I am sorry I wasn't clear. After doing the the update I was prompted to change my *abcd* Apple ID to an email format..change it, not create another. I belieive the prompt said something like "all Apple ID's must be an email addy for security blah blah (paraphrasing now)" and then a prompt and form to change mine...I believe the *abcd* was in the the form in grey and I over typed it to ** . I received an email confirmation that a change had been made to my account - not anything about opening a new account.....clear as mud?

I know it sounds crazy, but I think I'm have a two name issue on one Apple ID.

It could only happen to me :(