Strange background noise

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adxam, Mar 19, 2004.

1. adxam macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2004
    has anyone had any problems using the edirol ua-1x to get audio into the computer from a real insturment? all my recordings have a popping/clicking noise in the background which is not the metronome. while i record the meter doesn't clip and i've tried plugging the guitar straight into the edirol as well as going from an amp output and a mixer but they all give that background noise. also i've tried playing with the hi/low switch on the edirol but that doesn't do anything to help. my computer is a 600mhz i book with 640 ram running 10.2.8 if that helps in tracking down the problem. please help if you can.
  2. Snarf! macrumors member

Mar 10, 2004
    BG, Norway
    It`s probably the USB interface. I`ve had problems with some USB interfaces, so I went for Firewire. No more problems.
    Of course there can be a number of other things wrong, but my guess is that the interface just isn`t good enough for that computer. It might perform better on a faster computer, or maybe the edirol device itself is damaged.

Try to borrow a few other devises from freinds/a local retailer and try them out. You have a laptop, bring it to you music retailer, explain, let them help you, maybe they can figure it out for you?

Good luck
  3. Oroboros macrumors newbie

Feb 26, 2004
    Difference in sample rates mb?

All the Edirol UA series (1A,1D, 1X) sample with 16-bit resolution. GarageBand accepts 24-bit resolution samples. You may be experiencing a sample 'out-of-sync' effect if there is a sample rate incompatibility.

Don't despair: I use an Edirol UA-1A and it works fine with GB.

You may need to check your system preferences and GB's preferences to ensure that your UA-1X is converting signals at an acceptable rate.

I only bring this up because this 'popping' effect has occured with me using ProTools, a 24-bit program trying to use my UA-1A (though usually ProTools just coughs up blood and says 'Dude: 16-bit input? No wei!' if a setting is incorrect.) Also, there have been complaints in the past about iMovie sound: Apparently, handicams sampling audio at a 12-bit resolution can cause editing sync problems, whereas 16-bit audio seems fine.

So who knows: maybe there's a ghost in the sample rate machine somewhere.