Strange case about remote controling software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cool11, Mar 23, 2007.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I want to control remotely a pc from my mac.
    I used vnc but it is very slow.
    So I found this one
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=remotedesktopclient

It is very fast.
    But there is a problem for me.
    It requires that the pc should have an account with a password.
    I would like to have my pc without password.
    If there is a need for a password it would not be a problem for me to give it to the application that makes the remote controling, not the pc itself.

Explanation:
    this pc does not have a monitor attached to it. I use it to make my downloads.
    If it restarts for some reason(or I shut down it) then the next time it will boot it will require a password.
    How can I give when my mac will not have connection to it and no monitor to see what is going on? The pc will wait to the login screen, refusing to load windows.
    If it does not require a password, it will load windows and then there will be no problem to control it remotely from my mac.

Is there any solution to use microsoft remote admin without using password to the pc?

2. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Do I have any option not to bypass password on this specific login page?
    I want to use it, it is so fast(though not a universal binary) but if my pc restarts maybe I will be locked outside the pc!

To be honest I do not know if this remote admin loads before login screen so I can give the password remotely. If this happens then everything is ok.

Any ideas?

3. Stratification macrumors regular

If I'm not mistaken you can use Microsoft's TweakUI to automatically enter the password at boot. That way you can have a password, but still have it log in automatically. It's a little strange to have that option, but I think it's there.

EDIT: I'd try rebooting the machine without logging in and see if it works also. It's worth testing I would think.

4. CLuv macrumors 6502

Try this link, it is in M$ KB about how to log in remotely with a "null" password. I had the same issue remotely connecting to a XP Pro laptop on my network at home from my Mac, this solved the issue when connecting via the Remote Desktop Software.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303846

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

RDC can automatically enter the username/password. Click the little arrow next to 'Options', and then enter your username and password. If the machine reboots, RDC will enter the username and password, and you're fine.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

6. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I used the tip CLuv posted here, but I really want to thank you all of you. Now everything is fine! :)

7. CLuv macrumors 6502

Cool11, you're welcome. Glad to hear that worked out for you.

8. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Problem solved but I am thinking if this pc is vulnerable to hackers now.
    It sits behind the dsl modem/router but I did not made to the router any special configuration.