Strange clicking noise coming from my imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dynamicd, Nov 26, 2005.

1. dynamicd macrumors 6502

Hey guys, thanks in advance for any replies. While I'm using my 700mhz 17" falt panel iMac, once and a while I'll hear what sounds like a spinning sound and then a click. And while the "spinning" noise is happening my computer freezed for that second or two. It's really quite annoying. This happend a couple months ago for a day or so and then stopped until now. I'm thinking it's my harddrive but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?? Thanks again!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I agree, it sounds like the hard drive. I'd make sure you make frequent backups and prepare for a crash. When? Today, tomorrow, in 5 years? No one can say, but clicking noises usually mean it will crash sooner than later.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Try to pay attention to the noises and time them. If they're happening at ten minute intervals, it's a normal quirk of the hard drive.

4. dynamicd thread starter macrumors 6502

The timing varies but just the other minute it probably happened about 5 or 6 times within that minute. I tried restarting and repairing permission but that didn't work.

5. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Your hard drive is likely dying. Back up what you can as soon as you can.

And just FYI: repairing permissions is not a magic bullet. It will not correct hardware issues. There's some controversy if it even helps with many software issues. *shrugs*

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

There is absolutely no controversy if Repairing Permissions helps with software issues. It helps when the problem is a permissions problem, which is fairly common in a unix system.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think it's thermal recalibration ... which happens when you hammer the drive.

But if it is happening a lot, the drive is dying quick.

Basically it's the HD eq. of the old Zip drive click of death.

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Deskstars of about that vintage recalibrate exactly every ten minutes no matter what, and depending on the ambient temp the process can make really, really strange noises or be totally inaudible. Somewhere I have recordings of the odder ones but a search isn't turning up what I want.

Yeah, sounds at irregular intervals are likely read retries.

9. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

back it up
    smak it up
    jak it up.......

BEFORE it jaks U up :eek:

10. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

lmao.

@Original poster, like everyone else I think it has to be a HDD problem. Backup all data onto an external HDD with superduper or something. Also if you have techtool pro or an apple hardware disk, do the hard drive diagnostic tests.