Strange crashing problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by boneca, Jan 16, 2007.

1. boneca macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm experiencing strange crashing problem on my G4 PowerPC MacMini which I bought on the same day of Keynote in Jan 2005 when announced.

The specs are:
    MacMini 1.25
    1GB DDR RAM - upgraded
    Hitachi 60GB 72K RPM HD - upgraded
    Pioneer 8X DL SuperDrive - upgraded
    AirPort/BT - upgraded
    LaCie 80GB Mini LaCie - external

Basically what I'm looking for is advise on diagnose the problem, such as log files etc. (where to find those on my Mac and more important what to look for in them)
    Maybe there any good software applications that can do the system scan to determine the problem.
    Repairing permissions maybe? If yes what steps do I need to take to do this.
    Hardware problem(s)? not very likely as I'm ruining the same setup for almost 2 years now

How system is used... Well not very heavily, this is not my main computer and what it used mostly is to run Azureus application. You can tell me that this is because of Java it's runs on or too much processing while running but I kinda eliminated it by stooping all Azureus activity on it for couple of days and found "You need to hold down the button to restart your computer" the very next day

Sure enough it runs just fine on weekends or when I'm at home, It does fail on weekdays when I'm at work or during night time :) I know it's sounds funny and not related I just wanted to mention that.

Now the only other application that runs is OSXVnc to remotely control the Mac from different PC. which I found to be very buggy as almost everyday I find this application hangs as well.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated and sorry for long post...

2. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2005
    Boston, MA