Strange Desktop Security Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by parrothead, Oct 27, 2004.

1. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

First let me apologize if this has been covered I have been out to sea for a month and havent been keeping up with things.

Last week I came home and ran software update and got my Powerbook 1.25 running panther up to speed. Ever since then I have been having extremely frustrating problems when trying to rename files/delete files/copy/paste/etc. It mostly happens when the folder/file is on the desktop, but has happened other places too. The message that comes up says something like I haven't authenticated this folder or something. So I end up having to get info and go down to the permissions area. it is always read only and I have to change to read/write. Sometimes it asks for my admin password and sometimes it does not.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here? Will a simple repair permissions work (just occured to me while writing this :rolleyes: ) or is it some new security feature that I can turn off?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I agree. Repairing the Permissions and if that doesn't help, a run of the cron scripts might. Use MacJanitor, or Cocktail, or any other number of programs to make the scripts run.

They run normally, BTW, at 3:00AM. Same time as the Newton for housekeeping things, interestingly enough.

4. parrothead thread starter macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Thanks for the info. I run macjanitor once a week and just tried repairing permissions last night. So far it seems like that fixed everything. :)