strange disk utility...!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by the Western zoo, Oct 2, 2006.

1. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

hey people...

I was just about to repair permissions today when I noticed that the repair disk wasn't available...? how come? is something wrong do I need to install something or what not??

Here's a screenshot of the situation - it's in danish in case you wonder what's p with the strange words, but I put a circle around the button in question!
    http://west.users.whitehat.dk/pics/screen1.jpg

2. seanf macrumors 6502

Try selecting the disk itself (74,5 GB FUJITSU...) rather than the partition

Sean :)

3. the Western zoo thread starter macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

I've tried that, same story...

4. the Western zoo thread starter macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

I've just scaned the disk and it says that the header needs a minor repair - but still repair disk is not available..

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Repair Disc is different to Repair Disc Permissions. You can't click that button unless you boot from the install disc or an external HDD.

EDIT: haha, i beat you by 2 minutes, meanmachine! But you answered the question better than me anyway. :D

6. meanmachine macrumors newbie

Hi Western Zoo,

I think you are trying to run the disk utility from the harddisk you are trying to repair. That is impossible.

You can either use the DVD that came with Tiger (or the OS version you are running) and start with the -C pressed to boot from DVD. Then you run disk utility and you will see that the repair button is not greyed out anymore.

If you have another mac with the same OS, use that with the mac that you want to repair in target mode (startup with T pressed while starting I believe)

Good luck with this.

Meanmachine :D

EDIT:? Scarlet Fever jumped the queue ;-)

7. the Western zoo thread starter macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

edit: Mean Machine answered my question... :D

Thanks alot to everyone! :)

edit no two: DONE! once again thanks to Scarlet Fever and Meanmachine for enlighting me! :)