Strange display problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DavidFDM, Mar 28, 2004.

1. DavidFDM macrumors regular

I have had this problem in both Panther and Jaguar on both of my computers, a Quicksilver 867 and a 20" iMac.

In Safari and Mail, the type suddenly becomes a strange character set, almost like the character set has shifted.

Attached is a pic. Any thoughts???

- David
    - Going to watch the NCAA Frozen Four - GO MAINE!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Repair permissions. Also (try in Safari first unless you like rebuilding your accounts and mailboxes, move the old plists to your desktop and let the programs make new ones.

3. DavidFDM thread starter macrumors regular

TitaniumDucky,

I have run "Repair Permissions" and all the necessary UNIX maintenance tasks via Macaroni. No luck there.

Regarding the plists, can you give a more detailed step-by-step process? I'm a little confused by your post.

Thanks,

David

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The plist files referred to are located in the following folder: '~/Library/Preferences/' where ~ represents your home directory. They are called 'com.apple.Safari.plist' and 'com.apple.Mail.plist'. Find these two files, move them to your desktop (while Safari and Mail are NOT running), then relaunch them and see if the problem is fixed. If it turns out that the plists were okay, you can quit Safari and Mail, move the plists back to where they were, and launch Safari and Mail again. (This is my 400th post!)