Strange error when I connected my iPod

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by coolbreeze, Mar 27, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Hrm. This popped up when I connected my iPod. I upgraded to 1.2.6, but it has worked since then. Now, it won't connect at all. All I get is this error.

What to do?

Attached Files:

2. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

and this is what happens when i click on "verify disk," and then the iPod unmounts. time for a reformat?

Attached Files:

3. moose macrumors newbie

You too!

I have a thread running for this very reason...

I have the iPod fixed following the advice of some of the other members. Only problem is that now iTunes under X won't mount it as a source. But it will under OS 9 and iTunes 2. Chck out my thread for other's feedback...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22964

4. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

Greeaaat. I saw your thread just after I posted mine. Why us?? Man, this iMac/iPod combo was too good to be true. I switched to Mac 2 months ago and have loved every second of it...and now this.

Well, I'll comb through your thread and see what I can find. Damn, this sucks. I ripped a ton of CD's and hoped to put them on my pod before this weekend. Guess that ain't gonna happen if I can't fix this mug.

Thanks for the reply.

5. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Did you try doing repair disk in that window? In general OS X is a little bit more picky when it comes to problems like this. Do you have the latest version on iTunes, of OS X, and I saw you said the latest version of iPod software was on it. What kind of iPod is it and how many songs do you have on it?:cool:

6. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

I did try repair disk. It said finished, but when I reconnected the iPod, I got the same errors in my first post above. I would love to just do a restore, but I can't because my iPod won't even mount. I am now in the diagnostic menu doing a HDD scan on the ipod. Still waiting...

BTW. I am running the most current version of iTunes. It is a 10GB Mac iPod with about 890 songs on it. This is the first time I have had a problem with it ever. It was working fine before this fiasco. I didn't do anyting out of the ordinary (except update to 1.2.6, but it worked fine for days after that).

Strange.

7. moose macrumors newbie

Ditto. Sorry to say, but in my experience, you can run repair until the cows come home and it will always see it, but it will never fix it.

Mine is a 5 GB. 0 songs since the restore.

8. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Hey man that really sucks... I have an iPod but it's fine. Try calling Apple, see what they say... or go to one of the stores.....is it under warenty?

9. losfp macrumors regular

Argh!! Mine is doing it too now - and I updated to 1.2.6 a few days ago.

The only thing weird I remember doing was plugging it in to charge while I was at work - the PB was asleep. First time I'd done that. Then when it was time for me to go home, I simply unplugged it and went home - when I opened up the PB, it said something about a device not being stopped correctly. doh, I hope I didn't fry it myself.

BAH!

10. losfp macrumors regular

okay, this is weird... it'll connect to my PC with xplay quite happily....

11. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

OK, three of us in a matter of a couple of days have this problem after upgrading to 1.2.6.

I'm not big on conspiracies, but this sure does look fishy. Imagine if every iPod that updated to 1.2.6 fails because of this update...whoa man, Apple will be in for some disaster mamagement then.

I really think this will become a widespread problem. Yeah, it's only based on three people, but I bet that number grows exponentially as time goes on. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but this sure is strange. I'll keep my eyes peeled....

So now I have tried everything (reformat, HDD scan, resetting, you name it) and think I now have a beautiful paperweight (that is until I decide when I want to go to battle with Apple Support).

A pissed and confused switcher,
    Breeze

12. losfp macrumors regular

Did a restore with XPlay on my PC, and now it works! I'll have to sort out which mp3s I want to transfer back on there though!! but at least it'll mount and transfer on my mac ok now.

13. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

14. moose macrumors newbie

cool,

I posted my process in my other thread... I had a successful, albeit contorted resolution to my situation.

Best of luck... :)