Strange files in top-level folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mfacey, Mar 1, 2006.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

For some time I've had 4 files in my top-level folder in Finder. I'm talking about that folder that contains the Library, Users, System and Applications folders.
    The files that are unknown to me are called ~AUT0002, ~AUT00020, ~AUT0068 and ~AUT00680. They don't have extensions either. Anybody know what they do and if they can safely be removed?

Attached Files:

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Never seen em.. what is in them? How big are they?

3. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

When I open them in Textedit its nothing but a big long document of funky characters. The sizes range from 140KB to 570KB.

What I think I'll do is hide them on my external drive for now and see what happens when I run for a while without them there. I'm guessing they must be something like temporary installer files or something like that.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, it's NOT "normal", that's for sure.

IMO, just move them to another folder and see if they are re-created.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Hmm I got a weird file in my top-level folder too... called gmon.out. Coincidentally (or not?) I can't access my iDisk anymore, says "the volume for iDisk cannot be found".

6. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

yeah lots of badly written (often ported) apps do this. quake 3 for osx/ppc g4 does this too.usually just a log and you can delete it and it will reappear when you launch that app again.