Strange Firefox crash

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eeeRIE, Jul 18, 2005.

1. eeeRIE macrumors member

It happens frequently- whenever I use Firefox to try to search on google it crashes. First I get the colorful pinwheel, then it becomes unresponsive and I have to force quit. It almost always happens when I search on google using Firefox 1.0.4 and 1.0.5.

Why is this? Anyone else get it?

By the way I'm on an iMac g5 running OSX 10.4.2 if it helps.

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

If I get too carried away with several open screens in Firefox I'll get a shutdown. It's happened a lot recently as I've been doing some online research and EBSCO database searches.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does it matter whether you are using the search bar, or navigating to the google page first, and then searching?

I think that you might have a corrupt preference or file....

Depending on how painful it is, the most sure-fire option would probably be to delete your profile entirely. If you did that, though, you would have to get extensions and themes over again, and also you would want to export your bookmarks so you can re-import them.

For that matter, first, though... what extensions do you have?

FWIW, I have not really had this issue either on FF 1.0.x or Deer Park.

4. eeeRIE thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't matter if I use the toolbar or the site, it still happens.

I have a lot of bookmarks that I want to hold on to- but I do have a program called Bookit that shares my bookmarks among my browsers. So I can delete the profile, then bring all the bookmarks back. If I have to I'll do it.

First I'm going to delete my google cookies, see if it helps. Google occasionally has worked on firefox, then other times causes it to crash. So I'll have to try again a few times, even though it has worked so far. If it freezes up again I'll delete the whole profile.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

FWIW, you do not need a special program. Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks and then File -> Export will create a bookmarks file that can be read by all the major browsers.

But anyway, good luck, and please let us know what happens with the cookies -- since this might be useful to someone else. :)

6. eeeRIE thread starter macrumors member

I know I don't need the program, but it's very simple and easy to use and frankly I tend to be willing to use any program I can get my hands on.

Interestingly ever since I got rid of the google cookies I still haven't had any problems. I'll still keep trying to see if the problem is actually gone.