Strange GUI Problems in Jaguar

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by City of Glass, Apr 22, 2003.

1. City of Glass macrumors member

I give up. After two hours of scouring the Mac Help d-base to no avail, I have succumbed to requesting the help of fellow users -- Here is my story:

My problem began earlier today, when I checked into the System Preferences pane. There, I noticed that the "Internet" preference pane (normally sandwiched next to Network, Quicktime, and Sharing) was gone. I felt cold. Thankfully, most of its features are resurrected in the Beta 2 preferences of Safari (all except personal identification stuff -- IP, etc. I now extract my IP from a website). Still, the psychological comfort of its lambent blue icon has been (so it seems) arbitrarily extinguished (see attached).

Alright, I can still tend to all my ordinary, mind-dulling tasks. It's a sad, mysterious loss, but I've been knocked out before -- I always get back up.

Then, the second blow.

As an all-or-nothing solution, I see if it wont "Fix" after a simple restart. Hmm . . . nope! But even worse, when I open ANY folder, the toolbar is completely bare. Naked, empty. Relentlessly, my computer is being eaten away . . . an insidious bug, stealing my favorite Operating System's* most functional eye-candy . . .

Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so, what is the solution? I can't do the old OS-9 "trusty-dusty" Rebuild Desktop. Let me know, please, while I am still able to access the Web . . .

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass

*favorite Operating System: in the broad scope, it is actually BeOS. But OSX Panther is supposed to be a redux with BeOS journaling re-applied to file browsing, so I may soon be won over.

Attached Files:

2. Perceptes macrumors member

Perceptes

I've never seen this problem before, nor am I expertly savvy at fixing these types of things, but things to try or think about:

- use the disk utility to repair permissions on your disk. This has a magical way of fixing strange problems sometimes.
    - did you download/install anything new just before you noticed this happening? Maybe there's a conflict.
    - the last resort is always re-installing the OS, or you could try updating to 10.2.5 if you haven't already.

Sorry if this is way off the mark. Good luck!

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Go with these steps.

Are using Norton Utilities/System Works? Get rid of it it is a most likely cuprit.

Also do you use any system hacks or gui modifictions?

The system archive and install feature is painless and is very usefull in fixing slow downs and odd problems. Do not be afraid of using it. Just remember to run the updates after reinstalling.

4. City of Glass thread starter macrumors member

MacBandit,

No system hacks. Gui modifications? There were a few, many months ago. I was trying out some "theme" changers, however when I used a Beta version of one -- called DSR or DSX something -- then re-converted everything back to traditional Aqua, the BACK button in my toolbar remained an ugly, incongruous black. I fixed this problem by upgrading to Jaguar -- it must have overwritten it.
    Recently, I have downloaded only songs (mostly the band "Koufax") and videos (a group called "t.A.T.u."). The videos are no longer extant; after viewing -- they are quite sexual -- I had the Trash chew them to dust.

So, unless some midnight coder piggy-backed a malevolent curse into his favorite music video, downloads aren't the cause.

Norton System Works? I use the .Mac-member-privelage "Virex," version 7.1, which launches shortly after every log in (I left it enabled).

Now, about this "System Archive and Install" feature -- what are you referring to, exactly?

I have a 120GB Lacie "D2" onto which all my valuable graphical data is backed up, and if what I assume is correct -- that you're talking about a reinstallation of OS software -- would I thereafter be able to access my old information? Don't ask why this is even a question for me; it just is. Electroniophobia. (Or, as a subset of this, "erasurephobia").

(Please write back, and thanks for the tips!)

. . .

Perceptes,

My response to MacBandit should cover all of your suggestions. Thanks for your help!

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Sounds like your system is clean though you could have left behind some demonds from that beta modifier you uninstalled though it's unlikely. It's probably a bad system permission but if it's been months since your last OSX install I recomend doing a fresh install anyway. OSX on it's own will not slow down over time but all the system updates cause a slow down and problems over time.

When you start-up off of the 10.2 install disks to do the install you will have the option to do an archive install. All this will do is disable your old OSX system and save it to a new folder and install a new OSX with all of your old settings copied over. This in no way will affect your external drive. One thing to note. If you have moved your original OSX applications around at all duplicates will be installed in there original location rather then overwriting them.

6. City of Glass thread starter macrumors member

MacBandit,

Thank you for the trove of useful information. I was uncertain of what to expect on here, but your advice has proven very helpful.

Regarding my problem: As I'd like to approach this situation on a gradual basis, I'm afraid I need to ask: how do I correct bad system permissions? What is the exact process involved, etc. . . . After trying this, I will move to the Archive & Install phase.

Your insights are greatly appreciated. Look forward to hearing from you again.

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

open Disk Utility, the option to Repair Permissions is there. Evidently it's more effective if you boot from the jaguar install disk to do it... i'm reasonably confident it'll fix your problem...

pnw

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Here's a thread I created a while back so that I could reference in exactly these situations. It should answer all your questions about disk permissions.

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-City of Glass

Do you have a Logitech Keyboard?

Known Bug in how it relates to 10.2.5 (From MacFixIt):

Logitech driver issues; response There seems to be a conflict between Mac OS X 10.2.5 and Logitech's version 1.1 driver for their mice and keyboards. The mice appear to work correctly, but plugging in an Elite keyboard causes all menu bar issues including disappearing icons and problematic drop-down menus.

Logitech's technical support department offered the following response to the issue:

"Apologize [sic] for the issue you are receiving. The OS X 10.2.5 is not yet supported by our Logitech Control Center at this time. OS X 10.2.5 is so new that we have not yet been updated. We will be updating the software in the very near future. Please check back periodically with our web site at: http://www.logitech.com. Sorry for the inconvenience."

10. City of Glass thread starter macrumors member

My God, thank you, dearly, PatrickOBrien.

I DO use a wireless Logitech "elite" keyboard and mouse. Son of a . . .

I wonder, would de-activating the keyboard alone reverse this problem? What you describe is exactly the problem I am encountering, with the added horror of not being able to select "Show View Options" or "Customize Toolbar" without the Finder relaunching itself.

Or must I resort to Archive & Install, boxing up the old Elite keyboard, until Logitech "comes around" . . . ?

(To everyone else who contributed their knowledge here, thank you very much. Your help is appreciated greatly.)

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass

11. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Why not try uninstalling the Logitech Control Center first? You never know...

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

same thing happened to me. kind of.

i had no "accounts" prefpane and had multiple others

none of the aforementioned "utility" type things worked.

obviously a reinstall would work (well, pretty obviously... hopefully)

but what fixed it for me... and i'd ask others to weigh in on what the possible bad side effects could be..... i pressed the pmu button...

now, it should be noted i did this for another problem that was occurring at the time (occurred after the sys prefs pane thing). but it fixed it...

so i guess the question is, what are the possible bad consequences of hitting the pmu reset thing? and are they worse than going through the reinstalling hassle

but anyhoo, that fixed it for me. just thought i'd give my experiences.

13. City of Glass thread starter macrumors member

PMU?

What is this?

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I was having all kinds of problems with my Kensington StudioMouse. I love the thing but the Kensington software really sucked in OSX. Too bad really from what I've heard the software was the best in OS9. Well it was giving me all kinds of permissions failures with not just the mouse I was having failures with everything. I tossed the Kensington software until they improve it and am just using OSX's built in stuff and it works fine. The only problem is I can't customize mouse buttons for the system and programs not built with that in mind.

I would just try using the keyboard without the software.

15. City of Glass thread starter macrumors member

MacBandit,

Thanks for the advice -- I would remove any visible software, however . . . I never installed any.

It just "automatically worked," when I plugged it in. Real "plug & play." I think it lets itself (and your system) know it's there during startup -- or at the time you plug it in.

Strange, strange, strange.

I'm really worried about this Archive & Install. Some of the lingering fears are:

(a) What happens to my Safari (and other browser) bookmarks?

(b) What happens to my iTunes song library (or "ies")?

(c) Will my System Preferences be changed? -- this includes internet preferences, the ones which allow me to connect to my DHCP DSL router.

(d) What happens to my iChat buddy list (essentially, my Address Book)?

I'm very conscious of these superficially "minor" topics. They are very important to the present, workable state of my "Mac"hine. Will a beast as ruthless and raw as Jaguar tear these fibers of electro-personality to shreds?

The horror, the horror . . . someone please assure me that Archive & Install will leave everything peachy, merry, and bright. I'll need assurance from a "regular" OS re-installer to be totally convinced, but any positive comments at all will be met with deep gratitude . . .

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

If unplugging your keyboard fixes your problem don't bother reinstalling.

The answer to your questions is that the archive install copies all the preferences and everything over. It even archives the old system in case you customized a system plist or something and need to bring that over manually. It will not affect iTunes or any other program like that. In fact now that I think about it I think I was wrong about it installing the apps. I don't think it installed any apps when I reinstalled last week using this feature. I didn't have to reupdate those apps so it must not have.

Long story short though as far as I have seen your system will appear to be exactly as it was before the install except it is now working the way it should and you will have to reupdate the system to the latest build.

17. City of Glass thread starter macrumors member

I did also find something called "LogitechForceFeedback.kext" deep in the system, but again, never actually installed any Logitech software on my own determinism.

I don't want to remove this file -- but, should I?

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass

P.S., I didn't see your post, MacBandit. I tried removing the keyboard -- unplugging it. No changes. Therefore, I have moved to Phase III below.

18. City of Glass thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, MacBandit.

And onward I plunge.

--C.o.G.

(If I post again, it will mean the operation was a success. If not, look for a post from me within two to three weeks, which will be issued from within a local Apple Store).

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yeah don't remove that file it is part of the standard install by OSX.

20. City of Glass thread starter macrumors member

OPERATION "ARCHIVE & INSTALL" A SUCCESS!!

My menu bar icons are back and colorful!

Hooray!

The only "bug" which remains is the total absence of an "Internet" option in the "Internet & Network" field of System Prefs. This is probably because, when I asked the Installer to Archive and Install, I also asked it to maintain all personal and group network settings . . .
    (see original picture, bottom half).

I'd like to extend my deepest thanks to MacBandit, who selflessly delivered very insightful (and practical) help without being condescending.

And to everyone else who here contributed . . . thank you.

Sincerely Yours,

C.o.G.

21. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

First of all, you could have putten the toolbar icons back by just right-clicking on the empty space and selecting 'Add Items'...

Now, to the missing Internet prefpane... do you have many 3rd party prefpanes installed? I recently discovered that some of my prefpanes were missing, and since I did have over 20 extra prefpanes I deleted some I didn't need, and voila, the missing prefpane appeared. So, it means the Prefpane Panel has a limit to how many prefpanes it can show (although they are still in the prefpane folder). So if you do have many extra prefpanes, try deleting some.

irmongoose

22. City of Glass thread starter macrumors member

irm,

Obviously I would not have needed this much help if it were simply a matter of toolbar customization.

I tried this, and not only did it fail to correct the problem, it actually compounded it by causing the Finder to restart itself. The same occured when "Show View Options" was selected.

Re-installation was the only cure.

-C.o.G.

P.S., I am unaware of extra prefpanes, although a duplicate of "International" continues to appear, as well, in a normally empty field called "Other." Very odd.

23. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

im sorry i didnt read this before. its a simple fix. when you run into this problem you go into your ~/Library/Caches folder and remove the cached systempreferences file. voila.

24. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

He could also do a search for prefpane. This will bring up all the prefpanes on the sytem. Look through the results for the internet prefpane and be sure it's in the proper folder with the other system prefpanes.

25. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

nah, the prefpanes are always in the right places. its the caches that mess everything up.