Strange hangs or pauses in Safari on Intel mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spanky Deluxe, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I've been experiencing some strange behaviour in Safari on my Intel Mac Mini. Its only been occuring in the last few days and no other application is affected.
    Basically every now and again Safari loses its ability to browse the internet. When you click on a page or type something in the address bar the blue progress bar gets stuck very early on. When this happens any open Safari window experiences the same behavior. Safari still works as in you can scroll click etc etc, just the internet aspect is affected.
    My msn stays connected and I can browse Wikipedia through a dashboard widget and all the other widgets update as if nothing was wrong. The only way to get Safari working again is to quit the application and open it again. This can be very irritating if I have several Safari windows open with lots of pages that I'm looking at and don't want to lose.

Any ideas what's going on anyone?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Sometimes Safari does this to me too.. Perhaps you should take a look at Saft? It can save all open windows & tabs when Safari closes or crashes.. and re-open them when you start Safari again.

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It was doing it to me, but my Mac mini No.1 died before I had chance to look into it more. Are you connected over wireless? Perhaps it's something to do with 'the Airport problem'.

5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Safari has been doing things similar to that for me too, and I'm on an iBook - obviously still PPC. It's only been happening recently, so I believe that it could have to do with the latest security update.

6. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Its definately not to do with wireless since I have my airport disabled and connect through an ethernet cable.

If by the latest software update you mean the 2006-002 update then no its not to do with that because I haven't installed it yet (didn't want to restart, planned to do it next time I want to turn it off!).

And yes I do occasionally run Tomato Torrent. I was downloading the latest episode of Pure Pwnage a few days ago. Maybe that was the cause but I don't see how only Safari would be affected if all other internet apps are fine even if any torrents start to hog bandwidth and aren't restricted.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

File sharing apps can mess with a computer's (and even a router's) port configurations, breaking some app's connection with the 'net. It's not that file sharing apps take all the bandwidth necessarily. :)

8. coop macrumors member

My Safari has been slow on my Intel Mac also. I emptied the cache and it started working fine again- read this on a post by someone on this forum.

When I get really frustrated I switch to Cameo which seems to browse the internet a little quicker.

By the way where is the progress bar in Safari? I can't find it and it drives me crazy.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's the URL bar. It fills with blueness. :cool:

10. coop macrumors member

Thanks I feel silly now! Only thing that makes me feel better is so far no one at work has spotted it...

11. Roba macrumors 6502

I have just started to get this problem to for the last couple of days. Some sites like this one just seem to load fine for me now but some sites have developed a problem in loading where they never before.

I ran disk repair and also reinstalled the OS but this problem still persists. It puts me of from surfing when this is happening. I ran the install CD's and expected all my previous information to be wiped so that i would have to start installing everything again but all my previous info was there when i switched on. I am a bit puzzled about that.

I don't know why this loading problem is happening as it was faultless before. I don't know if it is down to the fact that Safari has a problem now loading some sites or if this down to something that i have downloaded. Btw, i have removed everything that i downloaded. I don't think that it is a problem with Airport because some sites load up fine.

Edited to add-
    I disconnected my router and plugged it in again and entered in my settings again and for now things seem to work ok again. I just hope that it will last.

12. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I'm having the same problems on my G4 mini. Very frustrating! iTunes Music Store access seems to be similarly affected. It's gotten so I do most of my surfing on my G3 "Pismo" Powerbook (which isn't having the hanging problem). Definitely not just an Intel Mac problem.

BTW - I haven't installed the latest security update on the Pismo. That seems to be the culprit.