strange imac G3 question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mungki, Aug 23, 2005.

1. mungki macrumors newbie

ive been offered an old iMac G3 free of charge, and tho it would be cool to own the design classic i really got no use for it unless...

(excuse my lack of technical terms)
    i had this crazy idea i could somehow disconnect the screen from the internal workings connect it to my ibook and use it to span my desktop (using the hack) then network my ibook to the internal do-dahs, allowing me to use the hard drive as extra hard drive and use the extra power in and x-grid net (if i could whack panther on the imac)

nope im not stoned, just crazy, anyone gotta clue if this would work? or if im just insane?

i appologise for my lack of knowledge in advance
    MuNGKi

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ummm.. Pretty bad idea.
    The earliest iMacs have a video jack and a cable inside: you could potentially splice an extension onto the monitor's cable and snake it out through a hole in the case... but it would be ugly and not guaranteed to work.

3. mungki thread starter macrumors newbie

so is that a def no?? i mean these mac's are getting binned by my old college, so it like here's a free mac, i tohught i might aswell have a play any ideas on networking it or sticking panther on it?

4. bentley macrumors 6502

stick tiger on it (or just panther if you have it)

and run it as a server/folding machine/music player

i could find a use for it :D

5. imnotquitesure macrumors member

What kind of processor we talking about? I'm running panther on a 500 mghz g3 imac right now. If its a tray loading one, you have to partition the hard drive and make sure you get the latest firm ware.

6. mungki thread starter macrumors newbie

to be honest im not sure what the spec of it is just chatting to my old lecturer and he said they were uprgrading and had to chuck em, did i want one?

about using the crt as as a mirror/span - check the attached pic - correct me if im wrong which i could be, isnt that a vga cable there coming from the crt attached to the video board, and couldnt i just whack the ibook vga adaptar on the end of that viola 2 screens?????

Attached Files:

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

its not vga

its the connection that old style macs used to use......

8. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

hmmmm

umm,
    if you can get it to run some flavour of OS-X, i'm sure you can find plenty of uses for it without much hassle. server springs to mind if you can get a decent network speed out of it.
    otherwise, try whacking some distro of Linux on the puppy, prolly be better than OS9.2.... if you "must" run with the old OS, go for 8.6. the net functions aren't as good, but the whole thing is a lot more stable. you can run older versions of PS, Quark & Illustrator on 'em quite happily.
    i wouldn't mind getting one for the "classic" look, hell, i'd like to put a mac-mini in my OLD 512k case (where is that Lisa.....). any reason you can't bootleg a Mini into it? :confused:

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If yours looks like the picture and has a tray-loading CD-ROM, it's likely a 233 MHz "Bondi Blue" iMac G3, No Firewire, USB 1.1 only.

10. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

If its free, take it anyway. You may be able to sell it for a 100 bucks or so. I have a non-working one and compUSA told me non working they would give me $100 credit to a new mac. if it was working $200.

11. mungki thread starter macrumors newbie

nah its not that one i just found the pic on the net to ask

12. mungki thread starter macrumors newbie

Right after a lot of replies and not really getting the answer i was after (sorry) i did a lot of searching and was wondering if this will work (check my lovely diagram lol) get a big view - go on click it!!!

Attached Files:

• 012a.jpg
      012a.jpg
      File size:
      129.3 KB
      Views:
  13. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Do you realize the position your 'book will be in if you do this hack? As in, the location of the book relative to the iMac and you? :p It's going to be completely on the other side of the machine :p

Bondis are ****, imho. The only iMacs that are any good (imho) are Summer 2000 and later, and even they are questionable...

14. mungki thread starter macrumors newbie

i was asking whether it'll work, the DB15-HD15 converter

a M2F vga extension lead aint exactly a big deal to stick in the equatation, of course im not gonna have my ibook sat behind the imac

15. mungki thread starter macrumors newbie

and if you'd bothered to read its not a bondi, i just found the pic of the bondi 4 illustration purposes, plus the whole idea is not to use the imac as a standalone but to split it into extra monitor/ extra hard-drive/and maybe a little extra power in an x-grid net

16. lopresmb macrumors 6502

give it a whirl, I used to to use a a vga monitor with my old old performa, its all analog, so you should just be able to adapt it.

17. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

Its a G3 not a G4.

Nice idea But why not just buy a monitor for all that trouble?

18. mungki thread starter macrumors newbie

Bcuz its free!!!!!!!!!