Strange iMac wireless problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Everblue, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Everblue macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just got my iMac, it is very nice and everything except for one thing - my iMac sits 2 metres away from my wireless adsl router and the signal level is around 6-7 bars out of 15 under 'internet connect'.

I thought this is very strange so I brought my iBook and placed it right next to the iMAC and it gets full strength.

What's going on?

Thanks

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

This isn't really a "problem"...

My wireless router is on the other side of the house and when I'm far away from it some spots have full signal, but if I move, even very little, it drops to almost nothing. Routers do not by any means give out an even signal in any direction. Maybe experiment and see if it gets a different signal further away from the router.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i agree, this isn't really a problem.

if it's only 2 meters away, move the router closer to the iMac or plug the iMac directly into the router (if you have that option).

4. Everblue thread starter macrumors newbie

I think there IS a problem. And it probably lies with OSX's wifi software.

Let me explain:

1. In OSX I get 6-8 bars of wifi strenght

2. On the same machine (without moving it whatsoever), using Windows XP via Bootcamp: FULL STRENGHT!!!

How can one explain this?

5. Everblue thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

If you have one of the new Core2Duo iMacs - they have a problem. They are fitted with a Broadcom 802.11n compliant chipset. Most people with this chipset report poor signal strength and poor network thoughput.
    I expect that a future Airport Update will improve things.
    C.

7. Everblue thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup thats the one I have. What is strange is that under Windows, it works fine - so I guess the problem is a software one (which is good cos it can be fixed).