Strange iPhone 5 Camera Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tock172, Oct 9, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I absolutely love taking photos with my iPhone. My iPhone 4 served this purpose with excellence for over 2 years, unfortunately with my iPhone 5, I'm having a slight issue. I've read about the 'purple haze' issue, but mine is different. See the green dot appearing on my photos? Any ideas? Perhaps it's time to make a Genius Bar appointment?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. macrumors 65816

Personally, I think it look cool, especially the last one, but it'd definitely get annoying after a while. Definitely go in for a Genius Bar appointment.

3. macrumors newbie

That spot is from lens flare, given that the position changes depending on where the bright light source is. Does it appear in a flatly lit scene?

4. macrumors regular

DJsteveSD

nice pics, San Diego?

5. macrumors 68020

jlake02

[​IMG]

6. macrumors regular

I get that too when the sun is directly in the frame. It's a lens flare or reflection of some surface inside the camera assembly. I assume that's its possibly due to the smaller (shallower) camera assembly on the iPhone 5 (but really don't know if that's the case.) Interested to know if it's "normal" as well.

Mike

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have any photos containing the dot that you'd be willing to share? I'd like to see how it looks with other people's phones.

No, in photos without a bright light source, there is no dot/flare.

Thank you! And you are correct! :D

8. macrumors newbie

If it only appears with a bright light source, it's likely just the normal effects of such. If you are happy otherwise with the rest of the phone there is no point in exchanging. The next phone will do that as well. It is the result of lens design constraints and challenging lighting situations. I think your camera is A-OK.

9. macrumors regular

DJsteveSD

thought so, recognized the Scripps Pier and La Jolla

10. macrumors 6502

This is my green dot experience! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351117274.833112.jpg

11. lke, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

lke
    macrumors 6502

The older iphones don't have this issue, I have all of them including the first iphone, iphone 3G, iphone 4 and iphone 4S and this is the first one to show a green dot when there is strong light light.

I have noticed this today and check my second iphone 5 and it also has this issue.

It is normal for the iphone 5, what I don't understand is why this new iphone 5 display that green dot and the iphone 4S don't have this issue.

12. macrumors 65816

So, does this affect all iPhone 5s or just some? As others have said, it appears when direct light is in shot. Here's a video demonstrating it. Its position changes when the angle changes. Note, it's not a reflection on the wall as it might look at first, it's in the lens and only appears in the photo/video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o39XRuVD3Mg

13. macrumors regular

I don't have anything to offer you, but where the hell do you live? It looks absolutely beautiful.

14. macrumors 65816

Hah, thank you. It's actually my parents' house in Devon, UK, where I was for Christmas. I passed on the message to my mum :)

15. macrumors newbie

Green dot still issue with IPhone 6 plus

Seriously, the only answer is to point your camera away from the light source??? This is a little hard to do when you are taking a picture of a sunrise/sunset. Any other fixes?

16. macrumors 6502a

Don't take pictures of the sun while resurrecting a zombie thread?

Or Lens flare! How does it work?

17. macrumors newbie

Seriously, just got iPhone 6 plus which has the Halo and green dot. My 4S did not do that. My husbands 5 does not do that yet this thread seems to suggest that all recent iPhones have this problem. So sorry, but my problem just started. I now know the problem with what causes it but except for, don't point your camera at the light source, I have not seen any plausible solution.

18. macrumors 6502a

The problem with lens flare is that your solutions are pretty limited. All modern cameras will produce lens flare pointed at a very bright light source. Depending on the camera design, the flare's size, angle, hue may be different or even pleasing to the eye. (bigger DSLR's in my limited experience can produce a pleasing lens flare sometimes)

You can try slight angle changes to move it to a less noticeable area or even off the picture depending on the light source & intensity but you may not like how your picture is framed at that point.

There might be filters you can try (physical or software) but I'd let a real photographer chime in on that one.

Personally if I liked the shot but hated the flare I'd use something like Lightroom to remove it or change the hue.

19. macrumors newbie

Yes, I am thinking probably editing is the only solution. Thank you.

20. macrumors 6502a

eelw

Important part of photography is composition. Framing the object and surroundings to avoid lens flare.

21. macrumors 6502a

It's a type of lens flair.

22. macrumors newbie

Guys I have an iphone 5 out of warranty
    And in have these purplish lines\dots in the rear camera what should I do?

Attached Files: