Strange iPod behavior...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by BubbaJones, Jun 20, 2006.

1. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

A few days ago I tried to sync my iPod mini (6gig). iTunes found it, but it didn't recognize the name (it just showed the generic iPod name instead of my custom name). It also showed that the ipod was empty. I rebooted (I'm on XP) and the problem went away. Now I try to sync and it will recognize the ipod and its name, but it is empty and showing that the ipod has over 300 gig of space (295.41 GB used/184.60 GB free).

If I eject the ipod, I can still see all the music and it all plays fine.

I have the latest iTunes - 6.0.4 for windows. I have also run SDRAM, flash memory, and HD Scans from the diagnostic menu. All show up fine.

Anyone have any ideas short of reformatting (Edit:reformatting the ipod)?

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

You don't need to reformat your computer, but you can restore your iPod. You will lose everything on the iPod, but your songs can easily be copied over again.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

3. BubbaJones thread starter macrumors regular

BubbaJones

Yea, I meant reformatting the ipod, not my system.

I thought of reformatting (restoring) the ipod, but since it looks like the ipod isn't the part that is broken I wanted to avoid doing that.

4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Have you, or are you able to, try it on another computer? Windows or Mac?
    Try a different port on your computer? Another FireWire/USB device in the same port?

5. BubbaJones thread starter macrumors regular

BubbaJones

From what I understand, you can't sync an iPod on more then one computer, so I haven't connected to a different one.

I did, however, try moving the cable to another USB port. This didn't produce any better results. I have also verified that the original USB port is in working order.