Strange job ad...

Discussion in 'Community' started by superbovine, Sep 2, 2005.

1. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

http://dallas.craigslist.org/tch/93774085.html

2. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

alrighty then...... well... it is a job ad in Dallas Texas.... that explains some of it :confused:

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The scary thing is that it doesn't seem to be that strange an ad to me. Having seen some of what passes for formal English writing in CVs/resumes these days, I can understand his criterion being the ability to write in sentences.

We advertised for a proof-reading job a while ago and gave the applicants a short aptitude test. Only 2 of the 8 passed it - and one of those only just.

4. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Guy is an idiot. It's illegal to advertise for a "female" in an ad.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But it happens all the time whether it's in the newspaper or not. Female secretaries are preferred, for example.

Maybe the person who put out the ad is a woman and would feel more comfortable working with another woman if they have to work closely on something? :confused:

Okay okay, I'm not naive. A desperate computer nerd wants companionship, and a female with computer skillz is ace. :eek:

6. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

I know people who are looking for job candidates and definitely want a female but the will never actually say it.

7. superbovine thread starter macrumors 68030

superbovine

yeah, i have seen a few newspaper ads for "attractive personal assistants".

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's legal if and only if there are requirements of the job that make it impossible or nearly so, for a male to do the job. That's the way I understand it, at least. For instance... it's legal to hire art models based on their gender... because you cannot take pictures of the male human form, for instance, if you hire a female to do the job. I think sometimes exceptions are made for religion too, but I'm not entirely sure where the law stands on that at the moment. I think it is still legal for a religious organization to refuse to open up ministerial / priestly positions, for instance, to one gender or the other.

What's strange is there is no rationale here. There's no obvious reason why a woman would be better, let alone necessary for this job.

So it sound super sleazy.... There's something seriously wrong. Or a clerical mistake...although unlikely. But ... yeah, it doesn't sound right to me.

9. superbovine thread starter macrumors 68030

superbovine

I emailed criaglist, and they flagged the ad and supposed it doesn't show up in the listing anymore.