Strange line on iPod

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Toppa G's, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

Good evening:

I started up my iPod (3G 20 GB, Christmas present this year) this evening and at startup and at least for another minute after that I noticed a single line of pixels that appeared to be "flowing" from left to right, approximately in the center of the screen.

Has anyone seen this? I'm just curious...not worried that my iPod will flip out or anything or trying to nitpick, just wondering if this is some sort of normal startup thing.

What's the consensus?

2. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I am not sure what you mean by the flowing line, but my ipod occasionally gets lines across the screen when it is low on battery power. For me at least, they always go away when I plug my ipod in.

3. SaulTurnedPaul macrumors newbie

Re: Strange line on iPod

Well, certainly my iPod doesn't do that and neither do any of the other ones in our office, so the consensus on my end is that it's not a normal startup thing.

Personally I would take it to an Apple store or call support and tell them about the problem. Apple's support is pretty crappy if you ask me - my boss (who gave us all 3rd gen. 20GB iPods as a Christmas present) spent an hour on the phone with a "tech" who was telling him that his firewire connection was the problem, when Windows and our iMac at work both said something was wrong with the hard drive. Even the iPod told him there was a hard drive failure, but no, the tech insisted that it was a poor firewire connection, and that being on a brand new iMac!

Now I have mad props for the Apple store because my friend had a broken iPod that was like 6 months old, and he simply walked into the Apple store in a nearby mall and they gave him a brand new one, no questions asked. Wierd.

All in all, that shouldn't be happening, especially for something that costs as much or more than a PDA. Would you just stand by if your PDA screen did some wierd pixel thing every time you started it up? Well I wouldn't - that thing would be RMA'd in a second.

Longwindedly, take to an Apple store or mail it to Apple and demand that they fix it. Good luck.

4. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Have you messed around with the contrast? That can cause lines.

I have a friend who I sold my 1st gen iPod to and he ruined the contrast and then couldn't figure out how to fix it. He just didn't understand what the contrast setting was and didn't realize that was the cause of the problem.

5. James.Paul macrumors regular

I've had the same line and i have one at the moment actually. I find that if you reset the iPod holding both the menu and play/pause button down for about 10 seconds or so the iPod resets and it should disappear. If it doesn't try again. Doesn't always work first time

6. russed macrumors 68000

russed

I have the same problem with my iPod. every now and again when i turn it on, i have these lines. sometimes mine are vertical also. i have found it just disappears after a while. its annoying i know but i can live with it!

7. Toppa G's thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine disappeared after a few minutes, just curious to see if it was a common thing. Thanks for all the replies. I probably won't take it in for replacement or anything, because it doesn't really bug me. Just being casually curious. :D