Strange Mail behaviour

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by colinet, Jun 24, 2006.

1. colinet macrumors 6502

I recently changed ISPs and deleted my old ISP account in Mail preferences. However, when I create a new email, it still defaults to trying to send via my old ISP in the little 'account' pane below the subject line in a new email. Is there any way I can get rid of this short of re-installing Mail, and if I have to reinstall Mail, do I do it from my 10.4 dvd and then have to re-run all the updates to 10.4.6 in case there's stuff in the updates that is relevant to Mail?

Also I keep installing Mail on the icon bar but when I double click on it, OSX has forgotten where it is and I have to double click on it from the applications folders.

Are there some files I can just delete to clear all these problems without having to re-install Mail?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, if you haven't done this already, go to the Account pane of Mail preferences, and select the Outgoing Mail Server drop down list (this is in Tiger, it may be slightly different in earlier versions of OSX). There should be an option to Edit Server List. Select this, select your old SMTP account in the list and click Remove. :)

3. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

Done that, and my old ISP does not show up in the list, but it;s still there in the new mail pane!! I think it must be an obscure bug.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. You shouldn't have to reinstall Mail, but deleting the preference file may help. This will lose all your account settings (and customised Mail settings such as time between server checks) though. The file is named com.apple.mail.plist and can be found in the Preferences folder. Make sure Mail is closed before renaming, moving or deleting this file. :)