strange (null) process

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by wrldwzrd89, Aug 4, 2004.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I was trying to diagnose the cause of a script problem in this thread when I decided to check my Activity Monitor. I saw a strange process, with a process name of (null), using ~300 MB RAM and ~1 GB virtual memory (far more than any other process). It had 13 threads. I wasn't sure what it was, but I suspected it had something to do with my experimenting. I restarted the Mac and checked Activity Monitor again - the (null) process was gone. What I was trying to do was see if I could get the perl command-line program to execute a script (with a .pl extension) by Option+Command-dragging the script to the perl executable. I tried that twice, and nothing happened. Any ideas as to what was going on?
  2. ChrisX macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2004
    No worries, the (null) process is the Classic Environment (elsewhere referred to as TrueBlue Environment).
  3. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I had that problem once, except it was taking up all of my extra processing power :eek: so I quit it...
  4. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Speaking of weird processes, I have two "automount" processes, both running as root. I would think you would only need one.
  5. ChrisX macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2004
    Those are definitely two separate processes. I have no idea why *two* are needed, though. Anyone?