Strange Occurences...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by G99, May 7, 2006.

1. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

I go onto Activity monitor, just out of curiosity, and find Finder using up about 50% of my CPU! kernel_task was also running high at about 20%.
    I wasn't doing a thing in Finder, and the only major thing I did was convert an iMovie Project to MPEG-4 format, but the job had finished about 10 minutes before I checked Finder out.
    I decided to relaunch Finder, as I wasn't doing anything on it. Everything seemed alright after this. But, I scrolled down and found rcd was in a hang, so I quitted it (as I already had an appetite for destruction :p), thinking it would relaunch, but it still hasn't, and I am kinda scared...
    I decided to keep AM open, if anything funny happens. Then, WindowServer pops up every now and then, using at least 80% of my precious CPU power!
    What is wrong with my Mac? All of these processes were owned by User, not System, I think. I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but is someone hacking my Mac? Does this sort of thing happen on everyone else's machine?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Do you notice any dip in performance? You sound paranoid to me.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you restarted recently? If you're worried about being hacked, then use an app like Little Snitch to monitor your network activity. Having said that, Macs with password and the inbuilt firewall turned on are extremely hard to hack. :)

4. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Sounds like time to reinstall OSX!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

:p :p :p
    ;) ;) ;)

5. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

Maybe...lol

6. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

I guess I needn't be too worried if it is "extremely hard to hack". I'll consider Little Snitch.
    Maybe I was going crazy, because it was quite late at night...:eek:

7. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

Doing it now ;) Lol :D

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Did you find out the problem or are u just reinstalling?

Bless

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You were kidding about this weren't you? Reinstalling OS X is always a last resort, and usually a waste of time (IMO).

10. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

yes, kidding, note the 9 (!) emoticons to keep people from taking me seriously ;) :rolleyes:

11. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

Im kidding about reinstalling. I don't think it's a hardware/software issue, just coincidence, as you can see from the replies. The only problem is just my paranoia ;)