Strange Quake 3 Behavior

Discussion in 'Games' started by PlatinumBlade, Jul 23, 2004.

1. PlatinumBlade macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

Is there anyone else here with a new G5 system playing Quake 3 recently? I installed it not too long ago and it ran fine but it just started acting strange. All my audio is sped up so that voices sound like chipmunks. Even the music is sped up. I'm not sure what changed if anything and was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem yet. I doubt Activision will be any help but I'm asking there too just in case.

Any thoughts?

2. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

i have no idea what maybe wrong, but it happens on some games, for instance, if you play WOLFENSTEIN 3D on a more "recent" mac, it will be unplayable because your processor is just too fast for the game itself, i would advise you talk to Activision and/or ID Software for more information, or, ionno but can a G5 still boot OS9? if it can, try booting to OS9

3. PlatinumBlade thread starter macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

Quake 3 Behavior

Yeah I've got a support call in to Activision. I did get a reply from them earlier that suggested I increase my virtual memory to 160MB. I'm curious though when I state that I'm using a G5 running Panther and so forth how I'm supposed to edit the memory requirements of my applications. :) Perhaps they simply ignored the fact that I'm not running OS 9 or earlier? Oh well...that's the chain of the helpdesk. The level 1 techs usually aren't any help.

I've yet to write to ID as they likely won't be much help. Good idea though trying the OS 9. I hadn't thought to do that. I'm going to try Unreal Tournament 2004 soon... I hope that runs alright.

4. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

so a G5 can boot OS 9? wow thats super cool, i thought you couldnt cuz of the 64bit processor, but guess i was wrong, but anyways, UT 2004 isnt OS9 compatible, so no way can you run that on OS 9, the original UT yeah you can. Have fun! i hope i get a G5 soon, CANT WAIT (only if i get a job tho) :p :D

5. LoadRunner macrumors member

Q3a works fine for me, and I know allot of people who use the engine. Most of the time when people complain about sound problems in q3a, it turns out they needed to rase their s_mixahead setting. Perhaps that will fix your problem.
    The only game i've herd of chipmunk sound would be no one lives for ever 2. When apple fixed a bug in quick time, it became incompatible, because nolf2 was using the wrong command to load sound. The solution for no one live for ever was to revert to an earlier version of quick time.
    Have you asked for help at www.quake3world.com? They have a mac forum, if any one will know how to get q3a working. They would know.

What vertion of q3a are you using?

6. PlatinumBlade thread starter macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

Strange Quake 3 Behavior

I think I might have done this to myself accidentally. I ran across an ATI update which I applied to this system mistakenly thinking it was appropriate. As it turned out, it was a pre Panther update and I think the application of it to this system has caused problems. It isn't only Quake that I'm having trouble with now. I can't get AvP to load up at all anymore. I'm likely going to just wipe the system clean and do a reload of the OS.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Ok, i know the answer. You need to go into the Audio Midi Setup (in the Utilities folder) and change the sound output to 44.1khz. It is currently set to 48khz, which is higher than quake is built to recognize.

8. PlatinumBlade thread starter macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

Strange Quake 3 Behavior

Thank you for the tip. Quake 3 is running fine now. I do not know how that setting got changed but it seems to be fine now.