Strange question here about phone numbers.....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Jul 30, 2006.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm switching to T-Mobile soon and I don't want to keep my number....I was wondering if I can request a number and have them register it. I was also wondering if the 999 prefix is valid (e.g. 303.999.XXXX). Anybody know? Thanks!

(Sorry for being so random)

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Verizon would not let me request my own number. :mad: ...I'm not sure about T-Mobile though.

I'm not sure where you are located, but I believe the number for emergency services in the UK is 999, so you definitely would not be able to register that number in the UK (and therefore I doubt in the US).

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I'm not sure if any phone carrier will let you request a number these days. I know that about 6 years ago when I first got a cell phone my carrier let me choose from a variety of numbers, but now they just slap one on you. Feels a little impersonal but I', sure there is a reason for it.

4. reh macrumors 6502a

My local telco let me choose my land-line number from their list of available numbers. I picked 4143 'cause I thought it had a nice ring to it. :) I'm fairly certain this outfit allows you to choose your cell phone number too, because my boss's cell is the same as his home phone (except for the 3-digit extension).

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I can't be of any real help seeing as we don't have T-mobile here. FWIW, I'm pretty sure the telcos here are required to (by law) allow for the transfer of mobile phone numbers.

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I've had my number for about three years can can't remember the policy on requesting - but I think I remember they gave me some options (I was on Verizon at the time).

As for 999, it depends on what exchanges are active in your area, and what geographic area they are assigned to. I have a friend with a 703-999-XXXX, but it is a legacy from when he lived in Leesburg, VA. Remember, most areas have exchanges from back in the day when alphanumeric was used to signify location...

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

T-mobile did not allow me to pick my own number when I went over to them...they just slap me with a new one...hopefully I will keep this number longer than my last number.

Bless

8. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

9. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I know Cingular let my friend pick his number a few years ago (he decided to go with the last four digits 7467 which come out to spell 'PIMP'), though this was before you were allowed to carry your numbers over when you changed carriers so I don't know the policy now.

10. tomokun macrumors member

tomokun

A year ago when we got Verizon they said that you can not pick your own phone number anymore ever since they started the phone number transfering thing.

11. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Hmmm....a lot of different answers here. My dad was the tenth customer for Qwest Wireless and I can't quite remember if he could choose his number, but they did have an option to choose the same number as your home phone, so it'd ring in both places. We did however, get a number that was similar to our phone.

I think the people at the stores can somewhat choose. When my mom went to Sprint for two new lines, the clerk was able to give her similar numbers (303-257-XXXX).

When I went to Verizon to get my phone, while they were processing it, they said "Is (###-###-####) okay?".

I don't care about the prefix, just the last four digits and the area code. I think certain carriers have certain prefixes. My friend and I are on Verizon and our phone numbers are (303-489-XXXX). 303-437-XXXX seems to awlays be Sprint here. I don't think it'd be too hard to get my last four digist of my choice it T-Mobile has their prefixes.

12. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

my friend got a requested #... it was..

561-XXX-PLAY

yeah... he thinks he's smooth

13. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I want 303-XXX-CHAR. I guess I'll ask when I get the phone.

14. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

whats the CHAR mean?

15. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

That's my nickname. My real name is Charlie.

16. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

in my experience only old ladies use the letters ... I mean once a number goes into your phonebook on your phone who cares what it spells.

17. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Some of us actually still use phones that don't have included phonebooks. Sometimes they even have a cord attached to them as well.

A friend of mine's cell number ends in M-U-L-E. It makes things easier the few times I call him from somewhere other than my own cell and don't have it preprogrammed.

18. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Damn....not one single thing for my cell phone number. It says there are no words in it, possibly as a result of too many zeros. I only have 2 zeros in there.

20. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

sweet! there's no good ones for my number though lol

21. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

I February I finally succumbed to a local number - (Still had my Chicago 312 one). the Cinular guy and I stayed at the computer, hitting refresh until a number I liked came up - took about 20 minute of "one-arm bandit'ing" but got a wicked one.

So yes, the should - within reason.