Strange question involving… flare… I guess…

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by weazle1098, Feb 23, 2007.

1. weazle1098 macrumors regular

weazle1098

I was in my lighting design class (theatrical) the other day and someone asked why when we sharpened the hell out of an Source4 light there was a blue edge to the light, and no one knew why it happened. I thought i've seen that in photographs when you zoom in enough you can see this blue ghosting along sharp edges. Now my question is, is that caused by the glass or some other weird thing. I know its weird and probably poorly worded, but I was really just curious.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that it is because of the glass, but do you have an example to post here?

3. Poeben macrumors 6502

Most likely it is caused by Chromatic aberration.

I'm interested to see if ETC's EDLT improves this effect as well as improving sharpness of gobos.

4. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

Well I think you need at least 15 pieces of flare, unless you want to go above and beyond.

*obscure reference?*

5. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Looks like somebody has a case of the Mondays!

6. weazle1098 thread starter macrumors regular

weazle1098

I think you're right on the money there. And yeah, without the gobo its not too noticeable when you have the thing sharpened up real nice, thankfully we're blurring our moonscape, so you don't see it, that and unsharpening allows you to blend multiple units. But thanks I'll tell that to my lighting design professor!