Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weazle1098

macrumors regular
Original poster
I was in my lighting design class (theatrical) the other day and someone asked why when we sharpened the hell out of an Source4 light there was a blue edge to the light, and no one knew why it happened. I thought i've seen that in photographs when you zoom in enough you can see this blue ghosting along sharp edges. Now my question is, is that caused by the glass or some other weird thing. I know its weird and probably poorly worded, but I was really just curious.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Well I think you need at least 15 pieces of flare, unless you want to go above and beyond.

*obscure reference?*

weazle1098

macrumors regular
Original poster
Most likely it is caused by Chromatic aberration.

I'm interested to see if ETC's EDLT improves this effect as well as improving sharpness of gobos.

I think you're right on the money there. And yeah, without the gobo its not too noticeable when you have the thing sharpened up real nice, thankfully we're blurring our moonscape, so you don't see it, that and unsharpening allows you to blend multiple units. But thanks I'll tell that to my lighting design professor!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.