Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikewired

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
I am having a strange Safari pinch zoom problem. When a webpage is loaded and I use pinch zoom to magnify the page, Safari will zoom and then shrink back as soon as I lift my fingers. If I attempt to keep zooming on about the 3rd time the page will stay zoomed. If you double tap to zoom it will zoom normally and then let you pinch zoom. If you shut down safari and reopen it the pinch zoom will work for a few pages and start the quirky zooming again. Can anyone else test this.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
have you tried a complete cold boot? i had an issue not long back where safari would automatically zoom/scroll down to the bottom of any page i loaded up, even after a safari reset. after several reloads and a couple of cold boots this issue has gone. last time was a few weeks back

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
I am having a strange Safari pinch zoom problem. When a webpage is loaded and I use pinch zoom to magnify the page, Safari will zoom and then shrink back as soon as I lift my fingers. If I attempt to keep zooming on about the 3rd time the page will stay zoomed. If you double tap to zoom it will zoom normally and then let you pinch zoom. If you shut down safari and reopen it the pinch zoom will work for a few pages and start the quirky zooming again. Can anyone else test this.
I have that issue but only with certain pages. Gocomics.com is one that I've noticed it on.

On the other side of the coin there are some pages that will not zoom.

I don't know if it's a Safari issue or something in the websites.

sregreb

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2014

I am experiencing the same issue and it's driving me INSANE. Also, double tap to zoom does not work on many pages as well. Same behavior on 9.2.1 and also on the latest public beta which I'm running now.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
On websites I visit on a daily basis it behaves consistently. i.e. Zoom will not stay zoomed or page will not zoom. I wonder if these sites are not written/optimized to work with Safari?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
It depends on the site. Sometimes you can't zoom in on mobile sites. A site that has no mobile version will work as expected, pinch zoom, double tap to zoom etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.